Saturday, January 8, 2022

King Richard


KING RICHARD


This film follows the story Venus and Serena Williams and how their father Richard Williams trained and shaped them to become who they are.

Positives: 
-The best performance in years by Will Smith in years. He walks so heavy, his body motions of a worn out man, he is spot on Richard Williams.
-The performances by newcomers Demi Singleton (Serena) and Saniyya Sidney (Venus) are really good and hold their own vs Will Smith. Now Saniyya never played tennis before and is left handed. So she had a grueling training program to learn tennis and then learn to play right handed. 

Negatives:
- There is a really good story here. Underdogs rising above those who do not believe in them and/or have prejudice against them. However, I wish the story would also show the other side...in other words, I feel a lot of this story is fiction. I mean it bothers me they do not show that Richard, in eyes of people in the tennis world found him abusive to his daughters and others. He was a loose cannon. That is the true story. Now I am not saying he was not a good father and what he did for his girls was amazing. Still tell the story.

3 1/2 stars out of 5 for King Richard. An entertaining film that was Hollywoodized.

From the shadows as always thanks for your time.



No comments:

Post a Comment

My Top 5 Films (And Recommended) Of 2024 At Six Months

Top 5 films that I have seen in the first 6 months of the year and maybe a book and album recommendation!!! Well let me get started...in no ...