Monday, January 3, 2022

Dear Evan Hansen

DEAR EVAN HANSEN


This is the film adaption of the Broadway Musical by the same name. The story follows Evan Hansen a high school student with social anxiety, and his journey after a suicide of a classmate.

This film gets criticized because of the age of Ben Platt as Evan. I really had no problem with this. It happens often in musicals, Grease and West Side Story as just some examples. So that did not bother me. What bothers me is the story itself. 
The story has so many problems. Evan is unlikable and he is the lead and we are supposed to like him and feel sorry for him when his lies caused the problems. His treatment of his Mother is also awful. Then with a snap of a finger all is forgiven in the end!! NO!! I dont care about his anxiety, he was a jerk, a liar, and a manipulator!! I hated this story. 

Positives?
Some of the songs are nice
Kaitlyn Dever is wonderful as always as the sister of the fallen student.
Amy Adams as the mother of the fallen student is great.
Julian Moore gives the best performance as Evan's mother. She is left in the dark, as she worries about Evan. Then she gets treated like crap by her son. The look on her face!! Then to reach for forgiveness. Oh boy.

2 stars out of 5 for Dear Evan Hansen. I just disliked Evan and his awful choices.

From the shadows as always thanks for your help


No comments:

Post a Comment

My Top 5 Films (And Recommended) Of 2024 At Six Months

Top 5 films that I have seen in the first 6 months of the year and maybe a book and album recommendation!!! Well let me get started...in no ...