Monday, January 23, 2017

Film review Miss Sloane

Image result for miss sloane

MISS SLOANE
Directed by John Madden
Screenplay by Jonathan Perera
Starring Jessica Chastain; Gugun Mbatha-Raw; John Lithgow; Alison Pill; and Jake Lacy



Jessica Chastain plays Elizabeth Sloane, the most sought after Lobbyist in Washington.

I will get to the meat of an issue I have here in a bit, but first let me note this:

The acting in this film is spot on. Of course Chastain and Lithgo are wonderful, when are they not, really.
Mbatha-Raw is a force!! Another strong performance by her. I do not think we can call her a new comer anymore (See Belle and Free State Of Jones).
Jake Lacy seems to always be good and he always makes it look so easy he is overlooked.
Pill who sometimes overacts. Is wonderful here, her character hangs in the back. It is a tough part to play hanging in the back but being tough.

As for Perera's screenplay, it is timely. And spot on. It follows Chastain who fearless as a lobbyist. Being a lobbyist is her football, it is her sporting event. She uses strategy and stays one step in front of the opponent. To a point that she has no personal life, and she pushes people away because she cannot risk loss of focus. For such a boring subject the movie flew by and I was on the edge of my seat. If I had an issue with the plot it would be the twist at the end. I loved the twist to a point I wanted to stand up and cheer!! However it stretched belief a bit (A cockroach?).

Now the meat of an issue. First of all, I have seen many people say they hated this film because she is such a bitch. Wait a minute!!!! This is real. If this was a man acting this way as a lobbyist would you say the same thing???!!!
Second: I read it is a anti-gun film. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! It is a political corruption film using a modern controversial issue to show this. People have to get out of their own head sometimes.

I give Miss Sloane 4 out of 5 stars. It kind of surprised me.

From the shadows as always thanks for your time.



No comments:

Post a Comment

My Top 5 Films (And Recommended) Of 2024 At Six Months

Top 5 films that I have seen in the first 6 months of the year and maybe a book and album recommendation!!! Well let me get started...in no ...