Monday, January 16, 2017

Film Review: Doctor Strange

Image result for dr strange

DOCTOR STRANGE

Directed by Scott Derrickson
Screenplay by Jon Spaihts; Scott Derrickson; and C. Robert Cargill
Based on comics by Stan Lee and Steve Ditko
Starring Benedict Cumberbatch; Chiwetel Ejiofor; Rachel MaAdams; Benedict Wong; Tilda Swinton; and Mads Mikkelsen




Doctor Steven Strange is one of the top surgeons in the country. After a car accident ruins his hands he looks far and wide for a cure.

Well let me get right into it:
The Positives:
Well of course the acting.
Cumberbatch as Strange is awkward which makes it work. He is a man with a big ego trying to crawl his way back up. He convinces us to go along for the ride.
Ejiofor well is always good
Swinton as The Ancient One is okay. Kinds unlikable and I think she was suppose to be likable...No Spoilers here.
Adams is wasted here , she is great but is still wasted as Strange's on again off again girlfriend.
Mikkelsen as Kaecilius, is really good as the bad guy. You really hate him.
Benedict Wong as Wong. He is lesser known but almost steals the film. Okay he steals the film.

The look is fantastic to a point where it should win an Oscar for effects. Things are shifting and moving under their feet. Just beautiful.

The Negatives:

I did not care. Maybe I am "superheroed" out. It just felt long and it was under 2 hours which is bad.
I also felt like the Karate Kid was remade. This time with special powers.
I think it relied too much on those great special effects.

I know many people went crazy for this movie. Me? I give it 3 1/2 out of 5 mainly for the look and the acting.

Dr Strange is available for home viewing Feb 28th.

From the shadows as always thanks for your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Top 5 Films (And Recommended) Of 2024 At Six Months

Top 5 films that I have seen in the first 6 months of the year and maybe a book and album recommendation!!! Well let me get started...in no ...