Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Film Review Manchester By The Sea

Image result for manchester by the sea

Manchester By The Sea
Directed by Kenneth Lonergan
Screenplay by Kenneth Lonergan
Starring Casey Affleck; Michelle Williams: Kyle Chandler; and Lucas Hedges




Manchester follows Lee (Affleck) as he learns of the death of his brother, he has to return back to Manchester where memories haunt him and others, while trying to take care of his now orphaned Nephew Patrick (Hedges).

Like Moonlight. This is a difficult film. It is haunting. It has an umbrella of sadness. No spoilers here, but what haunts Lee is just devastating. It is hard for us as the viewer to get past it also.

The film tries to add humor but to be honest I really did not laugh.
Patrick played by Hedges was suppose to add levity but I just thought he was a jerk. Yes he lost his father. No one wants him. I know, but he seems still like a selfish jerk. Also I think he is just alright in this part. He is kinda just there. I do not get the Oscar love.
I know everyone loves Casey Affleck for playing a very difficult part. He is really good here. He is almost like a ghost, trying to come back to life but in a weird way punishing himself by pushing life away. He is very good.
Michelle Williams. She has a heart wrenching scene where she puts on an acting clinic. Her and Viola Davis are at another level compared to all the other working actresses right now.

Manchester By The Sea is well acted. but like I noted.....it is a tough watch. If anything I think the characters grew a little in the film, in a way of learning who they are,

And a final note, boy this film looks wonderful. It feels closed in but oddly open and beautiful.

3 1/2 stars out of 5 for Manchester By The Sea.

From the shadows as always thanks for your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Top 5 Films (And Recommended) Of 2024 At Six Months

Top 5 films that I have seen in the first 6 months of the year and maybe a book and album recommendation!!! Well let me get started...in no ...