Monday, January 23, 2017

Film review A Star Wars Story Rogue One

Image result for rogue one

ROGUE ONE A STAR WARS STORY
Directed by Gareth Edwards
Screenplay by Chris Weitz and Tony Gilroy
Based on a story by John Knoll and Gary Whitta
Based on characters by George Lucas



Well. I love the story how it connects Revenge Of The Sith and New Hope.

Like The Force Awakens, it is a beautiful looking film.

As for the story. While watching this I was thinking of Saving Private Ryan. Rogue One is a war story period. As in most war stories, the group of soldiers are all not returning. I thought this in the middle of the film, this is not going to end well for some of them. This is not New Hope where Stormtroopers keep missing. This is a war story. I thought often, yikes kids should be prepared. Yes we all know they get the plans. We see that in New Hope. We just never knew at what cost. Not turning you away from this film,  it was fun and had a lot of action, still, it is a war story.
I loved all the characters in the troop. They were bold and all had different personality's, they were fun to watch. I also loved K2SO. He was such a wise ass which was hilarious. Just what the film needed because it was really an intense film. It needed levity.
Problems?
Oh Yes!!!!
See the trailer above? About half of it is not in the film. They really had trouble with at 3/4 mark of the film, You can see they changed the story. And the editing at some points made the story all of  a sudden seem all over. I got confused.
The score!! Was annoying and over the top. Even during soft scenes it would sound like it was over the top meaningful. It was so distracting to me.
They kept showing Forest Whitaker in the trailers. He was in it for 15 minutes. As noted in Arrival, he is wasted. He is Forest Whitaker!!!!!!!!!!! Respect!!!!

If it did not have a Star Wars connection I would have given it 3 1/2 out of 5 stars, but I love the connection leading to New Hope. I also think people are not giving Felicity Jones, playing the part of Jyn Erso, enough credit. She is believable here at being smart and tough. So in the end, I give Rogue One 4 out of 5 stars.

From the shadows as always thanks for your time.




No comments:

Post a Comment

My Top 5 Films (And Recommended) Of 2024 At Six Months

Top 5 films that I have seen in the first 6 months of the year and maybe a book and album recommendation!!! Well let me get started...in no ...