Sunday, January 15, 2017

Film Review: A Man Called Ove

Image result for a man called ove movie

A MAN CALLED OVE

Directed by Hannes Holm
Screenplay by Hannes Holm
Based on the book by Fredrik Backman
Starring Rolf Lassgard and Bahar Pars



You have a man called Ove, played wonderfully by Lassgard, is an angry SOB. His wife has died. he lost his job, and he cant stand his neighborhood. Now he just wants to hang himself and end it all.
Yes I Know!!!!!!!!!!! You are thinking ...like I want to really see that??!!
Trust me this film is wonderful.
Why? Things turn around when new neighbors move across the street. No spoilers here.
It is a very tough performance to pull off by Lassgard, to be so angry it is almost funny, but also to be lovable.We see his wonderful relationship with his wife through flashbacks. A sweet love story. We cry for him. We laugh with him (Even his failed attempts at hanging himself).
I have to admit I was worried going in. I was also worried during the first 10 minutes, he was so grumpy I thought this is going to get old. But when that new family moves in lead by their patriarch Bahar Pars, who is wonderful, things change.

This film out of Sweden gets 4 1/2 stars out of 5. One of my favorite films this year. Funny and sweet with some tears.

A Man Called Ove is available now for home viewing

From the shadows as always thanks for your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Top 5 Films (And Recommended) Of 2024 At Six Months

Top 5 films that I have seen in the first 6 months of the year and maybe a book and album recommendation!!! Well let me get started...in no ...