Monday, November 4, 2019

New Film Review: Harriet

Image result for harriet

HARRIET

Harriet Tubman was an amazing woman. A born brave leader.

I have to note right away that this film was directed by Kasi Lemmons. Screenplay by Lemmons and Gregory Allen Howard. I am noting this right away because I wanted to note first in this review...What were they doing???!!!
Harriet Tubman was a hero...with an amazing story. This is not the story. It is a shell of her story. This is filled with made up people. Odd  mystical signs from above with nothing based on facts (At one point I started wondering if this was a film by a Christian based production company like Affirm).
I cannot help but wonder that maybe there is not enough information out there/or facts found about Tubman to make a movie. Either way this was just strange.

Positives:
-At least it introduces people who HEARD of Tubman but did  know ABOUT Tubman. I mean I did not know the many times she went back to save all these slaves. She was so brave!!
-Cynthia Erivo...Cynthis Erivo...Cynthis Erivo!!! She is great as Harriet. Wait a minute. MMMMM! Lets go back to my review of Bad Times At The El Royale. Like my review of Motherless Brooklyn (With Gugu Mbatha-Raw} ....I have to pat myself on the back...I said back then this newcomer deserves an Oscar Nomination for El Royale. Well she has to get one here. Oh Here is my El Royale review in my top ten last year...https://theshadowsmoviecritic.blogspot.com/2018/10/new-film-review-bad-times-at-el-royale.html. Erivo is soooo talented!!! She already has a Tony for The Color Purple.

2 1/2 stars out of 5 for Harriet. Almost like cliff-notes of her story, with a fantastic performance in-between.

From the shadows as always thanks for your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Top 5 Films (And Recommended) Of 2024 At Six Months

Top 5 films that I have seen in the first 6 months of the year and maybe a book and album recommendation!!! Well let me get started...in no ...