Monday, November 4, 2019

New Film Review: Motherless Brooklyn

Image result for motherless brooklyn

MOTHERLESS BROOKLYN

It is a difficult film to review without spoiling it.

It is film-noir at its best touching on Chinatown a little I guess.

We follow Lionel Essrog  played by Ed Norton as looks into the death of his mentor.

This film moves slow, but oddly I do not mind slow. Its rare at the cinema today to actually watch a film with a nice build around an actual story and not a bunch of action or unfortunate slapstick comedy.
If I have a negative, now that I complemented a nice slow burn of a story, the story line seems to go no where with an ending that makes you go....that's what this is all about?! You kind of get fidgety watching this.

What keeps you watching are the great performances. Everyone is great here. Highlighted by:
Ed Norten who also wrote the screenplay (based on a Jonathan Lethem book} and he also directed.
He plays a gentleman with Tourette's Syndrome and I am sure a bunch of other issues. He is great and I would say at this point the one person who can give Joaquin Phoenix a run for the Oscar.
Gugu Mbatha-Raw as Laura Rose. I mean has she ever given a bad performance. Pat myself on the back...way back in 2013 when I reviewed the film Belle I said a star has arrived. So be it.
William Dafoe as Paul, a master of doing costarring roles and making them big.

Oh one last note...The Score!!! The score is great and may be the front runner for the Oscar for Daniel Pemberton.

Well I know this movie is not for everyone, it may seem boring and long to some. To me I found it really well done with an ending that had feeling let down...so 3 1/2 stars out of 5 for Motherless Brooklyn.

From the shadows as always thanks for your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Top 5 Films (And Recommended) Of 2024 At Six Months

Top 5 films that I have seen in the first 6 months of the year and maybe a book and album recommendation!!! Well let me get started...in no ...