Tuesday, November 12, 2019

New Film Review: Parasite

Image result for parasite movie

PARASITE



Well...from the title I thought this was a horror film. Well...I was wrong.
Yes this movie is getting a lot of buzz, some saying it is one of the best film of the year.
After seeing this....I have to agree.
As you can tell from the trailer...it is different. We follow a family who lives in the poorer section of South Korea, who slowly start ...moving in on a wealthier family. I cannot tell you more, I do not want to spoil this but...some shit goes down in this house.

Positives:
The performances by all the actors are just wonderful.
The director Joon Ho-Bongand his screenwriter Han Jin Woon take their time with character development. They let the story simmer, they take their time telling this story. Because it is a foreign film I am sure it is a long shot to win the Oscar for Best Picture, however it must be the front runner for best screenplay. Mixed with sadness; humor; and craziness....it just works.

Negatives:
There really is no one to grab on to here...to like. Everybody is a bit unpleasant in the back-end of the film. The end of the film is ...a downer for sure....with maybe hope, not sure.

As for the perspective people are saying that this is a story of the rich looking down on the poor and the parasites are the rich. I totally disagree with that and I hate when people look for something that is not there. The parasites are Ka-Taek and his family. They are lying and stealing their way into this house. The writing is wonderful because...yes I am cheering for them. Still they are wrong here. As for the family in the house, I found them kind and not mean. They are in a position as bosses and like some bosses they come across as obnoxious and pushy, still they are just living the lives that they probably earned and are nice enough to hire this family (Without knowing it is a family). So I disagree with that narrative.

4 stars out of 5 stars for Parasite. Yes it is one of the best films of the year just unpleasant and a bit crazy...unpleasant enough that I dropped it a 1/2 star I was going to go for 4 1/2. I lean toward pleasant endings.

From the shadows as always thanks for your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Top 5 Films (And Recommended) Of 2024 At Six Months

Top 5 films that I have seen in the first 6 months of the year and maybe a book and album recommendation!!! Well let me get started...in no ...