Wednesday, January 10, 2018

New Film Review: I Tonya

Image result for i tonya poster

I Tonya
Directed by Craig Gillespie
Screenplay by Steven Rogers
Starring: Morgot Robbie; Sebastian Stan; Allison Janney; Julianne Nicholson; Bobby Cannavale; and Paul Walter Hauser



This will be quick.
Every single performance in this film is wonderful. Highlighted by Allison Janney as Lavona Golden, maybe the worst mother in film since Mommie Dearest.

So we know that it is well acted. What about the story???

I do not know what is the truth. However one thing I do know....it is a shit show.
Just stunning. You watch and you feel kind of bad laughing. You are laughing at people because they are being kind of well....not the sharpest tools. It can be uncomfortable.
At the same time I feel bad saying the film is entertaining:
-Shawn (Hauser) is the ring leader of the stupidity...and people around him are treating like he is brilliant ring leader!!!
-Golden (Janney), every time she opens her mouth, we either laugh or just ....stare and with a stunned look.
-Gillooly (Stan) he is violent and strangely the smartest of the bunch, yet just foolish enough to trust Shawn
- Tonya (Robbie) has all these tornadoes of stupidity swirling around her. Yet she cannot see it and still at the end she is naive. She seems to always be fighting...violence and class-ism. It is sad. Just sad.

Now after all that............we still don't know what the truth is. I kind of think this is the truth. This film seems to follow the story by the book and the story flows nicely or sadly.

4 out of 5 stars for the very strange I Tonya. Okay it is a train wreck. But go see it and judge...what is the truth.

From the shadows as always thanks for your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Top 5 Films (And Recommended) Of 2024 At Six Months

Top 5 films that I have seen in the first 6 months of the year and maybe a book and album recommendation!!! Well let me get started...in no ...