Tuesday, January 23, 2018

New Film Review: The Phantom Thread

Image result for the phantom thread

The Phantom Thread
Directed by Paul Thomas Anderson
Screenplay by Paul Thomas Anderson
Starring Daniel Day Lewis; Vicky Krieps; and Lesley Manville



Day-Lewis plays Reynold Woodcock a Successful designer in  the 50's. Who is rude to all the people around him. He invites Alma (Vicky Krieps), a waitress, to spend time with him. She becomes his muse; his employee; his girlfriend. Watching over all this is his sister Cyril (Lesley Manville), the only one who puts him in his place.

Well acted as you would expect with Day-Lewis.
However it has two wonderful performances from Mannville and Krieps also!!
In fact, why Krieps did not get an Oscar nod I have no idea.

It also has a great look.  Time period looks awesome. Love the ladies who work for him putting on their whites before they start work, and how they are the actually elves behind the scenes. Without them he is nothing, and I do not think he realizes it.

I can't tell you much without spoiling the film.
I can tell you it gets really strange and wacky...like really wacky.
It is really interesting and it seems like Anderson did not know how to finish...
and just went well wacky!!! Did I say wacky?
Very very very odd ending.
I think it is all about who controls....I think.
I promise you, you will not see asparagus and mushrooms the same way again.

I really do not think...because of the ending and the strange twist, this should have been nominated for an Oscar that is for sure.

3 1/2 stars out of 5 for The Phantom Thread. I would not pay to see it in the theater, wait for home viewing.

From the shadows as always thanks for your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Top 5 Films (And Recommended) Of 2024 At Six Months

Top 5 films that I have seen in the first 6 months of the year and maybe a book and album recommendation!!! Well let me get started...in no ...