Thursday, January 11, 2018

Number 11 Of My 20 Favorite Films

Image result for sixteen candles

My number 11 of 20 is my favorite John Hughes film, Sixteen Candles.
Yes it is dated. However lets be real, whenever its on TV you have to stop and watch a little of it. And...yes, but even though pre-cellphones and laptops...it still after all these years the film has relateable characters. I mean they forgot her birthday!!!!!!!!!!! Sam has a crush on the most popular boy at school who sadly does not know he exist, yet the biggest geek in school has the biggest crush on her and sadly he knows she exists.



It is awkwardly true, yet often laugh-out loud funny with great characters:
Farmer Ted (and his crew)
Jake
Long Duk Dong or The Donger.
Lets not forget hidden in there is John Cusak and Joan Cusak in a neck brace!!

Great characters...with the best lines written by Hughes:

-Can I borrow your underwear for 10 minutes
-I can't believe this, they fucking forgot my birthday
-This information cannot leave this room. It would ruin my reputation as a dude.
-I cant believe my grandmother actually felt me up
-Relax. We have 70 dollars and girls underpants. We are as safe as kittens.
-Hey Howard there's your Chinaman

Well let me give you some fun facts:
-Molly Ringwald almost lost the part to Ally Sheedy

-Michael Schoeffling was so shy during his audition they almost did not cast him. However the casting director said..."Lets be real, he is to good looking not to cast"

-Ringwald and Hall were only 16 when the film was released.

-During the dance scene, the gym had no A/C. It reached 100 degrees. So hot that Haviland Morris (Caroline) had to change her dress twice...sweat issues.

-License plate number on Jake's car was 21850, which is John Hughes birthday.

-Speaking of Haviland Morris. She did not want to do the shower scene. Not because she was shy. Because in reality she had smaller breast than Ringwald and Curtis. A body double was used.

-Michael Schoeffling had a serious girlfriend at the time of filming. He married her.

-And now the question everyone wants to know. What ever happened to Michael Schoeffling????!!!
Jake!!!!
He is still married to that girl and has two children. He lives in northeastern Pennsylvania. He makes and sells handmade furniture. He was often seen at his kids games at a local highschool when they were younger. He just lives quietly in the community, never wanting the attention or wanted to be a star.

Number 11 of my top 20 favorites Sixteen Candles.

From the shadows as always thanks for your time.








No comments:

Post a Comment

My Top 5 Films (And Recommended) Of 2024 At Six Months

Top 5 films that I have seen in the first 6 months of the year and maybe a book and album recommendation!!! Well let me get started...in no ...