Monday, January 8, 2018

New Releases For Home Viewing And Some Housekeeping

Image result for IT

We have two new releases for home viewing this week to mention. Two that are better than average, so not a bad week.
But first some housekeeping issues to mention:
-My top ten movies, best and worst, I will do as usual as we get closer to Oscar week.
-My Shadow Awards will be posted around Oscar week also. If you are a regular reader you already know that my Shadow Awards are bigger than the Oscars...Hollywood is on the edge of their collective seats.
-I was asked to come clean and give my top 5 guilty pleasures. 5 films that are hard to admit I liked.
-My Oscar predictions
-And of course the finish of my top twenty all time favorite films.

So, yes a busy two months are coming.

Here I go:

IT
Directed by Andy Muschietti
Screenplay by Chase Palmer; Cary Fukunaga; and Gary Dauberman
Based on the book by Stephen King
Starring Jaeden Lieberher; Jeremy Ray Taylor; Sophie Lillis; Finn Wolfhard; Chosen Jacobs; Jack Dylan Grazer; Wyatt Oleff; and Bill Skarsgard



Well. If you follow my blog often, you know I do not see many horror films. However, IT has such a big promo by advertising, and/or word of mouth, I felt I would give it a try. I usually start these reviews with positives and then I go negative, well I am going to do the opposite here.

Negatives:
-This film is being billed as extremely scary. I disagree. Yes I was scared often but I found it more disturbing. A young child gets his arm removed. A bunch of bullies carve initials into an overweight youngster's stomach. A young teenager is molested by her father. A stutterer gets picked on by bullies A mother mentally abuses a son so he is dependent on her. Yes a fun time in the theatre!! Many times I wanted to walk out. I just do not understand people thinking this is scary fun.
-The screenplay...or the main plot was somewhat confusing. What the heck is Pennywise? Is he a ghost? I will go with ghost. So if he is a ghost why does he need to eat. Why is he putting some kids to sleep? I just think it is a mess. I think they are throwing a bunch of scary stuff out there to see if it sticks or makes sense. Plus..........where are the adults???!! Kids are disappearing!!! The end......no Police???!!


Well, there are some nice positives:
-There are some good moments. There are moments when all the kids are together. Like when they are swimming, or just trying to work together to find a way to get to Pennywise. Those moments remind me of Goonies; or Super 8; or Stand By Me. Or even the wonderful TV show Stranger Things. Sadly when the screenplay takes us from those moments I think the film loses something special.
-The actors!! Every single one of these kids are fantastic.
I will highlight the two leaders of the group:
Jared Lieberher...I think he gives a wonderful performance here. As Bill the stutterer. He lost his brother but he has to be strong...and weak all at the same time. All this while he is falling for Beverly. This kid is a wonderful actor...see The Book Of Henry. See St Vincent. See Midnight Special. The kid is always spot on. He is so good you watch him when he is not speaking and just watching the group. He has a presence.
Sophie Lillis as Beverly Marsh. Where did she come from. She plays a part with so many levels. A bad reputation at school, which is not deserved. A father who molests her. Yet she is strong and you believe it!! What a find!!!!!

Well......2 1/2 stars out of 5 for IT. Mainly for the performances. Plus I guess...I am opened minded enough to know if you are a horror fan and you came for screams, and that is what you pay for...well it delivers most of the time. ( I jumped more while watching Get Out...just saying).


Image result for the foreigner

THE FOREIGNER
Directed by Martin Campbell
Screenplay by David Marconi
Based on the book by Stephen Leather
Starring Jackie Chan and Pierce Brosnan




It is funny how this film is marketed. Jackie Chan is everywhere. However this film is more Pierce Brosnan. Jackie Chan pops in and out as he lays low. I would bet Brosnan is in the film more, and has more lines.
Let me get to the review. As you see in the trailer, Chan plays Fan, he wants revenge for an attack on his daughter by some IRA faction. Bronson is an official government something-something, who happens to be a former member of the IRA. Is he involved? Is he a good guy or bad guy?

This film has a lot going for it....
-The script is smart, it takes its time, and kind of makes sense. It also delivers plenty of action that Chan fans buy their tickets to see. Also important the action falls in line with the storyline, it does not break up the many facets of the mystery within the storyline.
-Brosnan and Chan are wonderful. It is nice to see Chan back; and it is a shame this film is not Oscar bait, because Bronsan gives an Oscar nominated worthy performance, he is that good.

Negatives?
-Some of  the fight scenes seen a little old fashion, where the bad guys take turns to fight Chan instead of all coming at once which would make sense.
-I do not get political, but I question the timing of this film. It came out the last week of September, there was 212 incidents of gun violence in film that week. 108 of them used automatic weapons. That was the last week of September. Then inn the shadow of Vegas, and here we are again with automatic weapons.
Hollywood stars are hypocritical here. If automatic weapons were not in this film would it change things? Probably not, but it would not hurt. It takes away the "norm" if that makes sense. So the finger can point back at them also. I cringed at the automatic weapons in this film. It was uncomfortable. So what I am saying is that Hollywood actors, who have pull, should shut-up and maybe push back on this. Yes I get it people like their action. However can you have the action without the automatic weapons?

Still I am not a political blogger, I am a movie blogger and this film, The Foreigner, gets 4 out of 5 stars. It is well written with two really good performances. It is fun.


From the shadows as always thanks for your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Top 5 Films (And Recommended) Of 2024 At Six Months

Top 5 films that I have seen in the first 6 months of the year and maybe a book and album recommendation!!! Well let me get started...in no ...