Tuesday, January 8, 2019

New Film Review: Welcome To Marwin

Image result for welcome to marwen


WELCOME TO MARWEN


2 1/2 OUT OF 5 STARS


I know this is not getting good reviews. I think critics are starting to go through a faze of...reviewing on what they wish the movie would be, not for what it is. I think Marwin is one of those movies, they want Mark Hogencamp (Steve Carell) to be something he is not. I cant say more because I do not want to spoil the film. I can say the film kind of...... partially.......... works.


You have to remember the film is odd, it is Directed by Robert Zemeckis, and he did Forrest Gump, and remember that was a little or maybe a lot odd. So the film is odd and you really have to go with it. So I was entertained, I can say that. I found myself on the edge of my seat for some of the doll scenes...which is odd....I mean they were dolls in a make believe world.
Sadly, it just seemed like it had no where to go or did not go places. There were characters that disappeared. There should have been more development of the people around Hogencamp. We are told they are important but not how and why. I also think...maybe Carell was miscast a bit. I had a little trouble believing him.
I can say however this film has 2 great performances in Merritt Wever as Roberta and Leslie Mann as Nicol. Both shining with limited material.


I think there is half a good movie here so I give it 2 1/2. It is emotional...and maybe worth a look for home viewing.


From the shadows thanks as always.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Top 5 Films (And Recommended) Of 2024 At Six Months

Top 5 films that I have seen in the first 6 months of the year and maybe a book and album recommendation!!! Well let me get started...in no ...