Thursday, October 1, 2015

New Film Review: The Walk

Image result for the walk

THE WALK
Directed by Robert Zemeckis
Screenplay by Robert Zemeckis and Christopher Browne
Based on the book by Philippe Petit
Starring Joseph Gordon Levitt and Charlotte Le bon



Twelve people have walked on the moon, but only one man - Philippe Petit (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) - has ever, or will ever, walk in the immense void between the World Trade Center towers. Guided by his real-life mentor, Papa Rudy (Ben Kingsley), and aided by an unlikely band of international recruits, Petit and his gang overcome long odds, betrayals, dissension and countless close calls to conceive and execute their mad plan.

I had a private screening to see The Walk so thank you to Sony Pictures.
 I came in with a strong feeling I was not going to like this. I really loved the documentary Man On A Wire. I just thought because of that, this film was unnecessary. Boy was I wrong!!!!
Loved it!! Petit, played wonderfully with pure body language by Levitt (not as much dialect), is a character meant for the big screen. He is big. His personality is big. His dreams are big. He is wacky, I mean you have to be wacky to pull off this stunt.
A wonderful performance by Le Bon as Annie, who I have not seen before, but she is adorable and never questions his sanity. She is his perfect mate and incredibly you believe her.
It really should be seen in 3D and on the big screen. Like my review for Everest last week, big screen and 3D becomes important to show depth, depth of the towers from every angle. Really hold your breath excitement.
Zemeckis makes this a fun watch. It is almost like a heist film that ends with a maestro on a wire conducting a one man orchestra, that being Petit. Also in the bigger picture it is the love and the beauty of the towers and the sadness that they are gone.
Faults...two big ones I think. I think Levitt is very good but why not a French actor?! Levitt's broken French is slightly distracting. Yes I know it is suppose to be broken English but it feels off. Also, we spent 2 hours with these characters why not finish with an updates on them,,,where are they now?
4 1/2 out of 5 for The Walk. Big screen 3D see it!!!! I think it is release on the 9th of October.

As always from the shadows thanks for your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Top 5 Films (And Recommended) Of 2024 At Six Months

Top 5 films that I have seen in the first 6 months of the year and maybe a book and album recommendation!!! Well let me get started...in no ...