Monday, October 26, 2015

Monday Recommended: For Halloween Week The Gallows

Image result for the gallows

Well I would not normally recommend this but it is Halloween week, so in the spirit of the week (SEE WHAT I DID THERE, SO FRIGGING CLEVER!) I give you:
THE GALLOWS
Directed by Travis Cluff and Chris Lofing
Screenplay by Travis Cluff and Chris Lofing
Starring a bunch of young actors



20 years after a horrific accident during a small town school play, students at the school resurrect the failed show in a misguided attempt to honor the anniversary of the tragedy - but soon discover that some things are better left alone.

No crap some things are better left alone!!
Well I wanted to find a scary film that is relatively new for home viewing and scary and this qualifies for both.
What works?
-Well all the actors are believable as high school students.
-It is funny, a high school is filled with voices and life, and when it is empty it is quite different. When I worked at a local high school I would come in at an obnoxious hour in the morning and just some of the lights were on in the gym and the hallways creating shadows. It did have a sort of creepy factor and this movie uses those shadows and the quiet real well. I always think darkness and shadows and not knowing makes a film scarier then the slasher films.
-An odd creepy ending

Problems?
-The script has many a hole in it. And as usual in these types of films the HS kids do things that are very stupid and so do the staff of the school (Who gave the okay for this school production?!). However in this type of film I kind of let the holes and poor decisions pass because it fulfilled its goal of scaring the @#$ out of me.
-The camera view did not make sense often, no spoilers here, but if you watch you will see.

Well anyway. Looking for a scary movie on Netflix to rent or pay per view you could do a lot worse than this. It is not a slasher film, bloody gory film. It will not be noted at Oscar time. It is just a new scary movie that kind of works. 3 out of 5 stars.

From the Gallows thanks for your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Top 5 Films (And Recommended) Of 2024 At Six Months

Top 5 films that I have seen in the first 6 months of the year and maybe a book and album recommendation!!! Well let me get started...in no ...