Friday, February 3, 2017

Film review 20th Century Women

Image result for 20th century women

20th CENTURY WOMEN

Directed by Mike Mills
Screenplay by Mike Mills
Starring Annette Bening; Elle Fanning; Greta Gerwig; Billy Crudup; and Lucas Jade Zuman



The story takes place in the 70's as we follow three women helping to raise a teenage boy.

I went in loving the idea that two of my top actresses are in one film!!! Gerwig and Fanning!!
So I was excited and they delivered.
What we see here is three women teaching a young man life lessons coming from different age groups.... ala points of view. The young man Jamie is played wonderfully by Zuman. He has a task. He has to keep up with the great actresses around him, He holds his own.
Then we come to the leader. The mom. Bening. This film is getting its buzz due to her performance.
I really think her performance is a little overrated. In fact I think that Gerwig's performance is a bit better. Not saying Bening gives a bad performance, in fact the whole cast is good I just think...it is okay.

Then we come to the story. I love the idea of the story. Three women at different ages in one house raising a young boy to become a fine young man. Problem is I felt the story just laid there. It did not really grow. It felt like it was a TV drama. The real sad part was I feel like when Gerwig and Fanning were not on the screen the film dropped down a lot, it was disappointing. The story became boring. I cared more for Gerwig's and Fanning's character more then the young man's.

3 stars out of 5 for 20th Century Women. For the idea and the acting....it just felt stagnant.

Fronm the shadows as always thanks for your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Top 5 Films (And Recommended) Of 2024 At Six Months

Top 5 films that I have seen in the first 6 months of the year and maybe a book and album recommendation!!! Well let me get started...in no ...