Monday, February 13, 2017

2016 My Worst Films Of The Year 10-9-8

Yes the 10 worst is here!!! Settle down. This is a warning post!! At home...I want to save you time...to...not waste your time!!

So here we go!!

Number 10

Image result for the lobster movie

THE LOBSTER
Directed by Yorgos Lanthimos
Screenplay byYorgos Lanthimos and Efthymis Fillippou
Starring: Colin Farrell; Rachel Weiz; and Lea Seydoux


In a future society, being single is frowned upon. To a point that, if you are single, you get sent away to some.....hotel..or resort to find a match. However if you do not find a match within a certain time you get turned into an animal of your choice.

Funny !!!!! Quirky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is what you they want you to think.

Well then you are fooled. This film is like a Hunger Games however not pitting the war between haves and the hungry. This is pitting the couples against the singles.
The difference? Remember, and I think people forget, that the Hunger Games films were based on YA novels. Not this film!! This film shows you the violence. Even the singles are violent against each other in an awful fashion
This film is so hard to watch.
- Hunting single people with darts
-Killing animals that are suppose to be former people and you see them all bloody
-Sewing peoples mouths shut, and other areas!!
-Because you have to be a perfect match ...like if you have a limp they have to have a limp...which means you get the pleasure of watching people severely damaging themselves to find a match so they will not be turned into an animal
-how about blinding people

I understand critics like this film because they want to seem smart and see the deeper meaning (I have said from the beginning, here you get real reviews. I am not here to show you how smart I am. I am here to give my opinion and help you decide if you should spend money on a film). I get the deeper meaning: Societies influences on people to become a couple and how they, unknowingly or knowingly look down on being single in society. I get it. However...this movie is hard to watch, is upsetting and I had to close my eyes many times.

A great performance by Farrell cannot make this film watchable. 1 1/2 stars out of 5, and that 1 1/2 is just for Farrell, for this just hard to watch ugly film.You know my rules when I started this thing:
Was I entertained? You are sick if you were entertained by this. I mean the ending??? I get it...for love...I do not need to see it or pay to see it.
Did I learn from this? No.

9
Image result for everybody wants some


EVERYBODY WANTS SOME

Director: Richard Linklater
Screenplay: Richard Linklater
Starring: Blake Jenner

Another film critics liked.

The film follows a bunch of college baseball players for three days before their classes start.

This film is getting a lot of love from critics. Maybe because Linklater is involved. It is suppose to be his follow up to Dazed And Confused. I am not giving it much love.

The cast is clearly over 22. I checked, maybe I was wrong, I was right, many are 28 and over. Then I thought maybe I am missing something. Maybe, it is suppose to be a joke. The cast in all those 80's sex comedies like The Great Ameican Virgin and such were noticeably too old to be high school kids. Maybe it was a sly funny wink to the 80's films. Well.....if that is so, it was not funny. It was more distracting. In fact I barely laughed while watching this film.
Now the sets. They looked so cheap almost like the whole film was shot on the same set. "Okay the scene is shot lets turn this disco into a country bar. Rearrange the tables and bring in a bull". Honestly it really looks low budget. Again maybe it was a wink to those low budget teen movies. Okay it worked it looked cheap.
The script. I am telling you nothing much happens. I was thinking maybe this is suppose to be like Linklater's Before Sunrise movies. In those movies nothing much happens. We just follow two characters around as they have interesting conversations. Well okay, but the difference here is, there are no interesting conversations and everybody seems unlikable and annoying.

There is one positive, and that is in the last 30 minutes when two characters spend time with each other, Jake (the lead played by Blake Jenner), and a young lady who is a drama major Beverly (wonderfully played by Zoey Deutch). They are from different majors and backgrounds and when they are together in that last 30 minutes the movie perks up finally.

Still, those last 30 minutes do not save this film. Critics see Linklater and just go thumbs up. Do not be fooled. Yes it is fun to see the 80's outfits and hear the 80's music, but...1 1/2 out of 5 stars. Outfits and music do not make a film. You have to have a script.

8
Image result for independence day resurgence

INDEPENDENCE DAY RESURFENCE
Directed by Roland Emmerich
Screenplay by 5 people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Starring: Liam Hensworth; Jeff Goldblum; Bill Pullman; and Sela Ward

Aliens sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooowly attack......again.

I see many films. Very rare is it that I want to walk out of a film, well this is one.

You know and I know before you walk into the theater that the majority of this movie will be filmed in front of a green screen. I understand it is not easy to act in front of a green screen. There is nothing there to play off of. However it is done. It is part of acting.
Now I come to the actors in this film, other than Jeff Goldblum (Yes Jeff Goldblum is the best actor in this film because he is playing Jeff Goldblum), everyone, and I mean everyone is awful!!
Liam Hemsworth....maybe he did not have a big part in Hunger games pt 1 -500 because he is not a good actor. Maybe, because he is really bad here.
Selma Ward and Vivica A Fox. Two very good actors that are almost comically bad acting in front of a green screen. It was cringe worthy.
I will stop...I could go on and on, but you get the point, the acting in this film is dreadful. Just bad. It is so bad it takes you away from the plot. Plot? This film had five writers and I felt like I have seen this film before. I imagine most of the screen play was: He stares and looks shocked. She stares and looks scared. That is what we saw a lot of, and that took 5 writers.

Is there any good; things to point out in this film?
Well Jeff Goldblum.
The special effects.
The film delivers aliens taking over action which is what you go to watch,ACTION. Sadly watching the acting it becomes a comedy also.

I cannot finish without mentioning Bill Pullman. Oh poor Bill Pullman. What was he thinking??!!

1 1/2 stars out of 5 for this Independence Day Massacre

Well just remember it gets worse with 7-6-5 coming.

As always from the shadows thanks for your time.





No comments:

Post a Comment

My Top 5 Films (And Recommended) Of 2024 At Six Months

Top 5 films that I have seen in the first 6 months of the year and maybe a book and album recommendation!!! Well let me get started...in no ...