Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Tuesday New releases On BluRay/DVD/Streaming With An Honest Trailer Also!!!

Well this Tuesday brings a pretty good release; an okay release; and a pretty bad release.


JUPITER ASCENDING
Directed by The Wachowskis
Screenplay by the Wachowskis
(Note this means they are to blame)
Starring: Channing Tatum; Mila Kunis; and Eddie Redmayne

No review needed for this .......just watch the Honest Trailer!!!



Now wasn't that awesome!!! Now I saved you time from watching it!! Why do I get a feeling this is going to be a cult favorite many years from now like Flash Gordan.

Moving on:

MCFARLAND USA

Story by Christopher Cleveland
Screenplay by Grant Thompson
Directed by Niki Caro
Starring Kevin Costner and Maria Bello



A true story of a struggling coach and teacher Jim White (Costner) who had to move around for different incidents in his career. He finally comes to one of the poorest cities in America- McFarland, California, where he ends up creating and coaching a Cross-Country team.

It is a Disney movie. You know what is going to happen at the end. However, while getting to the end the film shows the intangibles that being a part of something, can bring to a life, be it not only the team but also the coach and the community. In reality..at the end, in my mind, it did not matter if they won the states or not.
This film is pretty good. Costner was perfectly cast as the coach. He handles the part softly, almost knowing it is not about him, more about the team. It was over 2 hours and maybe could have used a little editing. I think it ran long because it was Disneyized, which means..if we can have one sweet emotional moment why cant we have 20 more. I would have liked to see a little more on how the members of the team did in school. Did their grades go up or down during this time? I love the end where you actually see the real members of the team running together now!! And find out how they are doing in their professional lives.
A really good family film to watch at home 3 1/2 out of 5 stars.


FOCUS

Written and Directed by Glenn Ficarra and John Ricqua
Starring Will Smith and Marot Robbie



Well, I thought the chemistry between Smith and Robbie was pretty good. Well that is something good.
They play two con men/woman. Smith the veteran con man. Robbie the rookie con woman.
This film is all how you approach it. There are gaping holes in the story. If you can overlook them, and not overthink it...you may enjoy the film. As for me? I found both leads not likable. I do not know if the filmmakers thought by having them in New Orleans and stealing off Average Joes would be fun to watch. Not so. I found it annoying and I kept feeling bad for the people. The film felt sloppy, like the last con was just..who cares.  The one bright spot, Robbie, who we last saw in Wolf Of Wall Street, her role is much bigger then her last film and seems to outshine Smith in this film.
2 1/2 out of 5 for Focus. The stars being for the acting, not the story. I wish it was more....fun. I guess worth a look at home. I would lean toward McFarland first.




 As always from the shadows. thanks for your time.



No comments:

Post a Comment

My Top 5 Films (And Recommended) Of 2024 At Six Months

Top 5 films that I have seen in the first 6 months of the year and maybe a book and album recommendation!!! Well let me get started...in no ...