Thursday, May 14, 2015

New Film Review: Far From The Madding Crowd

Image result for far from the madding crowd


Far From The Madding Crowd
Directed by Thomas Vinterberg
Screenplay David Nicholes
Based on the novel by Thomas Hardy
Starring Carey Mulligan; Matthias Schoenaerts; Michael Sheen;and Tom Sturridge



In Victorian England, the  Bathsheba Everdene (Mulligan), an independent, beautiful,smart woman has three suitors: Gabriel Oak (Schoenaerts), a sheep farmer; Frank Troy (Sturridge), a reckless Sergeant; and William Boldwood (Sheen), a wealthy bachelor.


When I first watched the film The Firm I did not like it. It did not have the same feel as the wonderful John Grisham book. Years later I revisted the film. I changed my mind. As I got further away from the book in my memory I found the film was really good as it stands alone. Since that time I always try to  see a film first before the book, and if I enjoy the film I then read the book to expand on the film (I just this for WILD). Of course I am not able to do this all the time. I read a book and eventually the movie rights are sold...which brings me to Tom Hardy's Far From The Madding Crowd.
The film is Madding Crowd in Fast Forward. I was far enough away from the book to separate the book and the film. The film comes in at less than two hours and it works real well. It is all Carey Mulligan with an outstanding performance. Playing Everdene walking around in a "mans world" and not backing down in business and going against social norms and hoping to be single and independent. She often has a quick smile on her face, like she loves the challenge and she almost saying she knows she is smarter than you. Mulligan is fantastic.
Her suiters:
Schoenaerts as Oak is clearly the choice, we all know this but it is still fun to watch. He is very quiet and says so much with his eyes. Great casting.
Sheen as Boldwood is also very good. However it starting to seem he is playing the same type of hardass/cold character all the time. In the film it seems Everdene does not want to love him, she wants to be him...successful.
Sturridge as Troy. I thought he overacted and the moustache was distracting...I had a lot of trouble figuring out what Everdene was seeing in him. When Everdene is with Troy she looks uncomfortable, like she knows this is the path that she did not want. You as a viewer feel it.
Another quick note they advertise that Juno Temple is in this film and she barely is. She plays an important role, however she is in the film for only 10 minutes at the most. I think she is a wonderful actress and seems to always be on the presuppose of a big breakout but just cant break through. I really like her.
Well I am giving Far From The Madding Crowd 4 out of 5 stars, a well done version of Tom Hardy's book. This is all Carey Mulligan...you can not help but cheer her on in this film.


From the shadows as always thanks for your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Top 5 Films (And Recommended) Of 2024 At Six Months

Top 5 films that I have seen in the first 6 months of the year and maybe a book and album recommendation!!! Well let me get started...in no ...