Tuesday, March 17, 2015

DVD/BluRay Releases This Week

Many releases this week too note.
I will start with the good and then move down to the bad.

Top Five
Written and Directed by Chris Rock
Starring Chris Rock and Rosario Dawson



The film made my top 10 movies for 2014. This film is pretty much like Richard Linklater's Before Sunrise/Before Sunset/Before Midnight films. 
Chris plays an actor trying to keep his career going in the face of his reality-TV star fiancée (Gabrielle Union) convincing him to broadcasting their wedding on her TV show. Dawson plays a reporter following Rock around for the day as he tells her stories of his past and his future dreams while trying to deal with the now. This movie is so well written and soooo funny ( there is one raunchy scene in the middle that is hilarious and at the same time hard to watch). It is hard to find smart comedies being released today and Chris Rock comes through here. He also helped by many supporting players. Who? How about: Seinfeld/Cedric The Entertainer/Tracey Morgan/Leslie Jones/Kevin Hart and so many more. I want him to do a follow up like Linklater!
4 1/2 out of 5 stars.


Penguins Of Madagascar
Directed by Eric Darnell and Simon J Smith
Screenplay 7 credits...yes 7!!



An off shoot of DreamWorks animated Madagascar films. Skipper, Kowalski, Rico and Private join forces with undercover organization The North Wind to stop the Dr. Octavius Brine from destroying the world.
This movie was clearly not made for me. In fact I was annoyed by the penguins in the other films. In fact I never was a fan of the Madagascar films.
I always felt the characters and the jokes get old quick and I think the same happens here.
For adults 1 1/2 of 5 stars. For kids...I think it will keep them entertained 4 out of 5.


Exodus: Gods And Kings
Directed by Ridley Scott
Screenplay: Adam Cooper and Bill Collage
Starring: Christian Bale



 Moses rises up against the Egyptian Pharaoh Ramses, setting 600,000 slaves on a monumental journey of escape from Egypt and plagues. And from this film.
This was real bad. Filled with bad special effects and bad makeup and it is shocking that Ridley Scott directed it. You just watch and it seems that the film got too big and then got away from Scott.
1 1/2 out of 5 stars.


Annie 2014
Directed by Will Gluck
Screenplay by Will Gluck and Aline Brosh McKenna
Starring: Jamie Foxx; Quvenzhane Wallis; Rose Byrne; Bobby Cannavale; and  Cameron Diaz



My pick as a tie between this and The Interview as the worst movies of 2014.
Where to start:
Quvenzhane Wallis:  Cannot sing. And when I saw her in Beasts Of The Southern Wild I thought she cannot act. However people were saying how great she was. I thought...maybe I missed something. Then I see her here in Annie. No, I did not miss anything, she cannot act. She is bad.
Rose Byrne: Miscast. Singing was a stretch.
Cameron Diaz: Over acting. And so bad at singing I have no idea what they were thinking while casting. I promise you if you decide to pop this in for your kids, you will be shocked by how bad she is here.
Bobby Cannavale: Has a look on his face like "what was I thinking?".
A bright spot?
Jamie Foxx was all in and can sing and dance.
Because of Jamie Foxx I will give it 1 star out 5. The star is for Jamie Foxx and that is all.


Well, as always thanks for your time.


No comments:

Post a Comment

My Top 5 Films (And Recommended) Of 2024 At Six Months

Top 5 films that I have seen in the first 6 months of the year and maybe a book and album recommendation!!! Well let me get started...in no ...