Well....August delivered a lot of films to the theaters. In August what we usually get are films that tested ...well not well..so in August they get dumped to try to make some cash, with not much advertisement behind it. So...heeeeerrrre we go 9 films in August!!!
9
THE WRONG GIRLS
Directed and written by Dylan Myers . Starring Kristen Stewart as Frankie and Alia Shawkat as Molly. They come about a briefcase with an experimental drug in it. Many people want this briefcase.
Hollywood is really trying hard to bring back the "Stoner" films, and it is not working.
I have to say a couple years ago I saw a film called Drive-away Dolls...about two girls who had a briefcase that many people wanted. MMMMMM...it was better. I found Wrong Girls boring with a really odd tone that left me not caring.
8
IDIOTS
Again Hollywood is trying to bring the stoner films back. A failure here again.
Directed by Macon Blair, the story about Mark (Dave Franco) and Davis (O"Shea Jackson Jr) who are hired to deliver a wealthy young man to a high end rehab clinic across the country.
The problem with this film is...no one is likable...so..I did not care. That simple. It was supposed to be funny..I did not laugh. A positive...it's good to see Kiernan Shipka on the big screen...but only for 5 minutes which was a waste.
7
COYOTE VS ACME
Well starring Will Forte as lawyer representing the Coyote who has had enough of the ACME products so he sues Acme.
Many people loved this film which was made awhile back but was stuck in legal limbo for many years. Me? It was just okay...after the first half hour of excitement because of the nostalgia..the story was just stagnant.
That's all. It was just there. I kinda didn't care.
6
MUTINY
I mean..it's Jason Statham. If you follow this blog...and you should...you know I love a good Statham film. Its always the same plot...1..man finding peace...2 his pass catches up with him...3...An innocent person is caught in the crossfire he must save that person...THE END. Well this one was kinda flat, and not as good as the film he brought out in January SHELTER. Still it's worth a look on Amazon.
5
TONY
I was excited about this film! In 2021 the documentary Roadrunner about Anthony Bourdain was fantastic and in my top ten that year.
So here comes Tony. Directed by Matt Johnson, with really good performances by Dominic Sessa as Tony; Antonio Banderas as Chef, Tony's mentor; Leo Woodall as Sal; and the wonderful and underused Emilia Jones as Nancy.
All these performances are wonderful...but then here comes the story the just is stagnant, it does not move. People are saying they like this film have to be paid for a positive review because this film does not move forward..it just sits there. I was dying for something..but no.
4
THE END OF OAK STREET
Directed by David Robert Mitchell and starring Anne Hathaway as the mom Denise; a miscast Ewan McGregor as the dad, Greg. Then throw in two annoying children...one happens to be a good actress from My Old Ass Maisy Stella.
The positive here is it is an exciting movie with a lot of dinosaur scares.
The negative....it makes no sense. Why this happened we don't know. Why Oak Street? We don't know. Then the ending made no sense. Like how one character was saved.
You could do worse, just do not overthink it I guess.
3
FINDING EMILY
Directed by Alicia MacDonald, and starring Angourie Rice as one of the Emily's; and Spike Fearn as Owen.
Owen met the love of his life, so he thinks at a club but is missing a digit from her phone number, he teams up with a Psych Major at school to find the missing Emily.
Well...you know what is going to happen, and it is kinda fun to watch it unfold.
Just wish it didn't feel so long. It came in at 150 minutes...should have been about 90 and still it would have been fine.
2
ONE NIGHT ONLY
Directed by Will Gluck and starring Callum Turner as Owen and Monica Barbaro as Allie.
One night a year, by law, single people can have sex. Which is the premise, as we follow Owen and Allie through New York all night.
I saw reviewers getting upset that the film never explains the law and why there is a law. Fing relax!! That is not what the film is about...this is a rom-com..chill. In fact I laughed hard at a couple of scenes. Thank you Molly Ringwald!!
If I can say anything negative it is that the ending is kind of weak. Also, Will Gluck made a bad decision, it is already R, you can have a comedy for adults, as he brags about leaving a lot of the film on the cutting room floor, to keep it cleaner. That's weak.
Still, the best rom-com of the year so far.
1
THE DOG STARS
Directed by Ridley Scott
This film takes place in a post-apocalyptic world where a virus has wiped out most of society.
I think I am the only person who really liked this film.
We have seen films like this before, where zombies roam around. Not here, this is about survival often but also touches on things that many of these types of films do not. Like, how do you regroup and make a life. Like, survivors guilt..how come you're here and others did not make it, how do you carry on.
I also loved the performances:
Jacob Elordi as Hig. He flies the sky to help others in his plane, and also has to make a decision about when he can move on and how and where. Wonderful soft performance.
Josh Brolin as Bangly. He is happy just on watch as a hunter. Shooting at people trying to steal his supplies. He is the opposite of Hig.
Margaret Qualley as Cima,. I mean a fantastic small performance. So used to seeing her play over the top, here she is soft and kinda worn down and just is looking for hope.
Guy Pearce as Pops. Wow great to see him back on the screen!!
If you want lots of action...this is not the movie for you. This is a drama with a little action..that's all. Makes me want to read the book.
Well there is August!! Not great, but Dogstar and One Night Only helps, No matter what snotty reviewers say!
From the shadows as always thanks for your time.
No comments:
Post a Comment