Wednesday, January 29, 2020

New Film Review: Underwater

Image result for underwater

UNDERWATER

A crew of aquatic researchers work to get to safety after an earthquake devastates their underwater laboratory. However something from under the ocean has awakened.

I am a big fan of Kristen Stewart, many people are not. I think she is underrated. People say she is mopey and miserable looking. I say she knows her lane and she is good at it.

Here she is very good and believable as Nora. She is the brains of the operation in this underwater monster/escape/race against time film. Also, T.J. Miller as Paul brings some much needed humor here. Jessica Henwick as Emily adds some much needed heart to the proceedings. So the acting is fine.

As for the script there are problems. This film...starts with no character development. The film starts with Nora brushing her teeth and then boom. Literally 2 minutes in. I know nothing about her (We do find out more as the film moves on but not that much...it is odd). Just a strange decision by director William Eubank. Now I always call February dump month where films often get dumped in January to try to make back some of their money back knowing the film tested bad. Maybe this film tested bad and they edited the front end and decided to get right to the action, give the audience what they want right away. Well if that is the case enter another problem..............
The film is too dark to see what is happening. I see they are frightened but..I cannot see. So it is frustrating. I know it is suppose to be dark, being the bottom of the ocean, but still I cannot see what they are afraid of; I cannot see where they are going; I often can't see who Nora is talking to. It makes it difficult to get into the film.

Well there is a lot of problems, Kristen Stewart is not one of them. 2 stars out of 5 for the performances in Underwater. It has some excitement...but there are too many issues to get past.

From the shadows as always thanks for your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Top 5 Films (And Recommended) Of 2024 At Six Months

Top 5 films that I have seen in the first 6 months of the year and maybe a book and album recommendation!!! Well let me get started...in no ...