Thursday, February 21, 2019

My Number 1 Film Of 2018!!

Number 1 Film Of 2018!!
But first lets look back at last years top ten films


10-Brad's Status
9-Thor Ragnarok
8-Beauty And The Beast
7-Lady Bird
6-Greatest Showman
5-Get Out
4-Battle of The Sexes
3-Baby Driver
2-Wonder
1-THE BIG SICK
 I look back at that ten thinking it was not a very good year for movies. I do not think I would change anything looking back. I just watched The Big Sick recently and it is still very good.


Well to review this years top 10 so far:
10- Bad Times At The El Royal
  9- Juliet Naked
  8- Ready Player One
  7-American Animals
  6-Isle Of Dogs
  5-Leave No Trace
  4-Won't You Be My Neighbor
  3-A Quiet Place
  2-Deadpool 2


So we come to my number 1 film of the year............

Image result for green book poster

GREEN BOOK



The film follows a trip into the south by musician Dr Don Shirley (Ali) and Tony Lip (Mortensen), who was Shirley's driver and sometimes body guard.
When I first went to a screening of Green Book (A green book is a book showing places blacks can eat or sleep while traveling through the south) I left the theater excited that I saw something special. It is special from beginning....middle...and end. I learned a lot and laughed a lot. It is enjoyable.
The road trip in reality lasted a couple years on and off. The relationship between them lasted for many years until Shirley's death in 2013.
I saw some people complain that this film does not highlight enough the struggles of African Americans in the south. This is why I do this, the anti film critic...critic. That is not what this film is about!!! This film is about 2 people, from different races, learning from each other, who become friends despite their differences!!!! If you want something else, this is not the picture for you because this is not what the film is about!!!!!!!!!!!! This is what it is, a true story!!!!!
Perfectly paced by Director Peter Farrelly, with humor; sadness; and sadly there is violence.
I have read articles trying to put a dent in this true story. All the stories seem pretty lame...including Shirley's family members upset about some parts. I see what they are upset about but...maybe they are in denial. They even went after the director and his past. It may not follow a certain agenda out there. I think the agenda is to knock the film out of award season. Hollywood politics.
Ali (With this and True Detctive; and Hidden Figures; and Moonlight, he may be in the top 5 of great actors working now) and Mortensen get Oscar Nominations for this. Let us not forget a pretty good performance by Linda Cardillini as Dolores, Tony's wife.

Well I am getting long. Obviously I loved this story.

My number 1 film of 2018 is Green Book. It is out now for digital download!!

Oscar Picks coming next!!!

From the shadows as always thanks for your time.









No comments:

Post a Comment

My Top 5 Films (And Recommended) Of 2024 At Six Months

Top 5 films that I have seen in the first 6 months of the year and maybe a book and album recommendation!!! Well let me get started...in no ...