Friday, October 27, 2017

New Film Review: The Snowman

Image result for The snowman

THE SNOWMAN
Directed by Tomas Alfredson
Screenplay by Peter Straugham; Hossein Amini; and Soren Sveistrup
Based on the novel by Jo Nesbo
Starring Michael Fassbender; Rebecca Ferguson; Charlotte Gainsborg; J.K. Simmons; and Val Kilmer




I was looking forward to this film. Then the reviews came out. I gave it a week.This film is based on a popular novel by Jo Nesbo. The Snowman is part of a popular series of books, The Harry Hole Series.

Well it is not as bad as what critics say. It is not great but not bad. I think there are a lot of mistakes, so let me start with them:

- It is based on a series, and Harry Hole (Fassbender} is interesting, However you can tell right away our hero has a bad and also successful track record. Yet to fill that background, that I am sure was probably in many a book, just does not work for just one film. In fact Harry is as much a mystery to us as the mystery he is trying to solve. It makes the viewer sort of unattached. We are not vested. We like him, but he is...is as cold as the atmosphere.
-J.K. Simmons as Arve Stop. What the Hell??? (No spoilers) Val Kilmer as Rafto. I really mean what the Hell!!!!! (No Spoilers Again!!) Both are just bad. J.K., Just say no to some scripts. Some parts are not right for you.
-You can tell by three screenwriters they had a lot of troubles telling this big story. It was very choppy. All over the place. Unfocused. Story-lines which were suppose to be shocking surprises were telegraphed. I just feel a lot of the book was left on the floor. I wonder if this would have worked better as a mini series on Netflix or some other platform like maybe the wonderful Night Manager (If you have not seen it, well, see it!!) There is a lot going on. However speaking of screenwriting and the plot............

The good:
-I love the slow movement of the story. With it taking place in Sweden, it reminded me of the slow burn of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, not even close to as good, but it gave us that same cold, atmosphere. The plot took its time. Some critics hated the slow movement, I do not mind having a slow build. It adds to the creepiness of the story line.
-I think Fassbender; Ferguson; and Gainsbourg are all really good here. All believable.

2 stars out of 5 for The Snowman. Not as bad as the critics say. It is worth a look when it comes to home viewing.

From the shadows as always thanks for your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Top 5 Films (And Recommended) Of 2024 At Six Months

Top 5 films that I have seen in the first 6 months of the year and maybe a book and album recommendation!!! Well let me get started...in no ...