Saturday, October 7, 2017

New Film Review: Blade Runner 2049

Image result for blade runner 2049


BLADE RUNNER
Directed by Denis Villeneuve
Screenplay by Hampton Fancher and Michael Green
Starring Ryan Gosling; Robin Wright; Sylvia Hoeks; Anna De Armas; Jared leto; and Harrison Ford





Well...I have to be careful with this review because I always promise no spoilers.


The story follows thirty years after the first Blade Runner. We follow K played by Ryan Gosling as he tries to find information pertaining to the bones of a female found during his search for old replicants.


There is a lot that is done right here:
-Yes it comes in at an incredible 2 hours and 45 minutes. However it does not feel that way. Villeneuve takes his time telling this story. He develops Goslings character slowly. We also get to see slowly what is going on around him.
-Richard Deakens who is the Cinematographer for this film is amazing here. Using real sets and green screens seamlessly, you expect dust and dirt to come at you while you sit in the theatre. Just a wonderful looking film. It will be a battle between this and Dunkirk at Oscar time. Right now I have to give the edge to Blade Runner 2048 it is gorgeous.
-The acting is phenomenal, not only Gosling but also Hoeks as the baddy Luv, who is just creepy. Plus the kind of love interest by Aramas Joi , in a very difficult part playing a ...I guess...a vision.
-The script is far from perfect...but with a storyline filled with nonhuman replicas it has a lot of heart and emotions


Now I get to the bad:
-I am not a big fan of Villeneuve.  He develops characters real well like in Arrival, and also here in this film...I just think he fails at finishing films. I think he is an over thinker. He keeps trying to make the viewer look left and at the end we see things are happening on the right. However we really do not see the "Whys" (Like in Arrival). That goes back to the review I did of Mother. We want a beginning middle and clear end. I do not really care how smart you are or you trying to tell us to think it through. No, I am not saying I do not understand what happened here but ...for 2 hours and 45 minutes he had to time to make things clearer. Jared Leto? What the heck was his characters plan or end game? Things like that.
When I left the theatre soooo many people were standing and talking about the film while the credits rolled. It is nice to have people talk about the film but not if it is what the heck was that!! Same feeling as I had with Arrival.
-Misleading marketing. With an hour to go Harrison Ford arrives. That is an hour and 45 minutes in. Really? He is on the posters which make you think he is a huge part of the whole film. No!! He is a big part during the finish...and to be honest at that point I did not care about him I cared more for Goslings character.


For its story...not its end...for the incredible look...for the wonderful acting...I give Blade Runner 2049 3 1/2 stars out of 5. See it on the big screen if you get a chance..it is beautiful.


From the shadows as always thanks for your time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Top 5 Films (And Recommended) Of 2024 At Six Months

Top 5 films that I have seen in the first 6 months of the year and maybe a book and album recommendation!!! Well let me get started...in no ...