Thursday, April 9, 2015

An Early Film Review!! The Longest Ride.

Image result for the longest ride

The Longest Ride
Directed by George Tillman Jr.
Screenplay by Craig Bolotin
Based on the novel by Nicolas Sparks
Starring: Scott Eastwood; Britt Robertson; Alan Alda; Jack Huston; Oona Chaplin; and Lolita Davidovich



The romance of a young couple, Sophia(Robertson) a college student and Luke (Eastwood) a bull rider. Their lives intertwine with a much older man, Ira (Alda), as he reflects back on his love story brought to life by Chaplin and Huston.

This film will be crushed by national critics. Unfairly so. They will say it is corny and the writing is lite. However these are the same critics who went easy on a film last week that cars jumped from one building to another. A film where cars jumped out of an airplane with parachutes.
Well I have been noting over and over again...I am different from critics who want you to know how smart they are. I am here to give my opinion on whether I think you may want to spend time/money in the dark with the people on the screen.
So..The Longest Ride!! The trailer lets you know it is a love story. The trailer also lets you see there will be flashbacks to another story told by Alda. Now after seeing the trailer you may decide you want to go to see this love story. I am here to tell you this is the best Nicholas Sparks film adaption since The Notebook, and it kind of follows the same story line as The Notebook with flashbacks.
 I only have one fault. I just think over two hours..a little editing is needed.
Now to what they got right. And they got a lot right while telling this love story.
The acting/casting is perfect:
Eastwood and Robertson. They have pretty good chemistry. He looks much older than her but I think it is because he so much bigger than her. I looked it up, there is only a five year difference between them. Eastwood, it is the first time I have seen him and he looks like his dad did at Clint's age. He is very charming in this role and he does looks like a cowboy. Robertson, I love her as an actress. I just saw her in a sad little film called Ask Me Anything, she is really good.
Alda. ugh he looks so old. Alan Alda cannot be old!!! But, he is great in the storyteller role. Don't get old Hawkeye!!
Chaplin and Hustin (Who you may have seen in Boardwalk Empire) have fantastic chemistry. Maybe better chemistry than the two leads. Oona Chaplin!! Wow, where did she come from??!! She shines!!

Corny. Sweet. Filled with love. The film also touches on the question of how much does a person give up for love and what is fair to have to give up for love. Eight seconds on a bull. Eight seconds, like life. An eight second decision can change life for better or worse, be it sharing an umbrella, or holding a door, or giving someone a hat, or getting on a bull. Life. Eight seconds.
If a love story is what you want...GO SEE IT!! It delivers what the trailer says. 4 of 5 stars for this corny sweet love story!! Bring Tissues!!
Oh by the way...Great music also!!


Thanks for your time..as always!!!



1 comment:

  1. Well written. I haven't seen the movie yet, but I have read the book and thought it was fantastic. I look forward to seeing the movie.

    ReplyDelete

My Top 5 Films (And Recommended) Of 2024 At Six Months

Top 5 films that I have seen in the first 6 months of the year and maybe a book and album recommendation!!! Well let me get started...in no ...