Sunday, March 31, 2019

New Film Review: Hotel Mumbai

Image result for hotel mumbai


HOTEL MUMBAI


4 1/2 stars out of 5


This is the true story of the attack of the Taj Hotel in Mumbai in 2008.


The best film I have seen so far this year. It is intense to the point of exhaustion, and I was not even there. I cant imagine what these people went through. Well, I kind of can, I see it there on the screen. It is a story of survival and bravery of the guest; and staff, who decided to stay in the face of the danger in the hotel to protect the guest. There was a point while watching this film on the edge of my seat I looked at my phone and realized we have an hour to go still. That depressed me! It was just frightening to watch.
I take away from this film how kind the people were in Mumbai. How they really were not prepared or knew what to do in the face of this evil.
As for the performances:
I was thinking after watching this, has Dev Patel ever gave a bad performance??!! I mean Slumdog; Lion; The Wedding Guest and Marigold Hotel, just as examples. Here he is wonderful once again as Arjun a worker at the Taj.
Here is the list:
Nazanin Boniada
Armie Hammer
Jason Isaacs
And maybe the greatest actor coming out of India Anupam Kher.
Everyone...everyone gives an outstanding performance!


Why not 5 stars?!
Oh boy..
To be honest, it may be just me but the real subject manner, and I do mean real. The humanity the violence...it is brutal. You wonder sometimes is it pandering to the violence in the hotel as we are watching. This is no White House Down film, this happened. I always say does real violence watched create violence. Is there too much?
2nd...and this is small. I would have liked to know what happened to the survivors, or maybe they were not real, maybe they were a combination of people. I would have liked to know.


2 small negatives....don't let this sway you away. It is a very good movie. Real heroes the ones who survived and the ones who did not make it.


From the shadows as always thanks for your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Top 5 Films (And Recommended) Of 2024 At Six Months

Top 5 films that I have seen in the first 6 months of the year and maybe a book and album recommendation!!! Well let me get started...in no ...