Thursday, December 7, 2017

Number 17 Of My Top 20

Image result for a christmas story

A Christmas Story....I know I know...it has been played over and over and over again.

But break it down, it is a relatable and wonderful  story:
-There is a bully in elementary school (With Yellow Eyes)
-The gift when you are a child that keeps you awake with excitement and hope.
-Dad working the lights on the tree
-The fear and excitement of meeting Santa Claus.
-The snow suit that is so thick you cannot move the arms.

Then throw in funny moments that still make you laugh after many viewings:
-Santa Claus from hell
-The toungue stuck on the post.
-You will shoot your eye out.
-The Bumpuses dogs
-The bunny suit
-The leg lamp
-FUDGE!!!!!!!

Then throw in the emotion:
-The mother after the fight....when dad gets home
-The Red Ryder BB Gun as the last gift to be opened...The Old Man was paying attention all along.

Based on the Jean Shepard short story (He is in this film..he is the irate man in the Santa line). The film does the story justice. With wonderful casting with Peter Billingsley as Ralphie; Melinda Dillon who is sooooo underrated as Mom; and of course Darren McGavinas The Old Man (Yes he had no name.... just Old Man). Then Bob Clark directing this classic coming off Porkys!! Yes Porkys!! Talking about going form one extreme to the other.

Just want to throw in this tidbit.... I was one of the few people who actually saw this in the theater when it first came out. No Shit!!! I saw it in a theater at the Macdade Mall in Holmes Pa. I think there was maybe 6 people in the theater. I loved it but little did I know what it would become.
I mean it opened November 20th 1983...it took in just a litttle over 2 million dollars and it was made for just over 3 million...who would have thought!!!

I leave you with the original trailer:



Number 17 of my 20 A Christmas Story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Top 5 Films (And Recommended) Of 2024 At Six Months

Top 5 films that I have seen in the first 6 months of the year and maybe a book and album recommendation!!! Well let me get started...in no ...