Friday, December 8, 2017

My Number 16 Of My 20 Best Films




Image result for wild movie

Well if you follow my blog you knew this film would be in my 20.
There is so many ways to look at this film. Is it redemption? Is it a start over? Is it just a reset of life? Is it an adventure? All are true.



How does one deal with loss? How does one push on? Here is the true story of Cheryl Strayed, after the loss of her mother/her best friend (Laura Dern), she spiraled down hill. Heroin, marital affairs, unwanted pregnancy. Her life was heading one place and sadly most likely it was 6 feet under. Then she saw a book about hiking the Pacific Crest Trail, and in a rash decision she decided to hike it for 3 months. She had to wherewithal to understand her life was out of control and decided to step away from her life and reset it.

Sounds depressing! Far from it. Yes, sad in parts , but also uplifting, funny, full of discovery.
The movie on its own is fantastic with not only the story, but the acting also:
Laura Dern, is just spot on as Bobbi Cheryl's mother.
Reese Witherspoon is wonderful as Cheryl. It is all her. Her movie. An acting class. A tough personality at the beginning of the hike you see her becoming softer (and thinner) as her hike pushes on. Not only carrying a "monster" backpack but carrying her burdens that at one point even knock Cheryl to her knees.

I had problems at first with the films abrupt ending. I wanted more, like how she made out after the hike. I watched it a second time, and realized after the hike is not what the film is about, it is about what the 3 months and the thousand plus mile hike did to heal her mind and body.

I read one complaint that she looks miserable. Huh? She is hiking for three months losing toe nails! Hello!! Cheryl Strayed just kept hiking forward. A toast with some Snapple and chips to Cheryl.

"How wild it was, to let it be"

"But I got promises to keep...and miles to go before I sleep".

"There is a sunrise and a sunset every day and you can choose to be there for it. You can put yourself in the way of beauty".

My number 16 film out of 20 Wild.

From the shadows as always thanks for your time


No comments:

Post a Comment

My Top 5 Films (And Recommended) Of 2024 At Six Months

Top 5 films that I have seen in the first 6 months of the year and maybe a book and album recommendation!!! Well let me get started...in no ...