Monday, December 9, 2019

Thoughts On The Golden Globe Nominations And Other Notes!!

Image result for golden globes nominations 2020

Golden Globe Nominations are in!!! Voted by the Hollywood Foreign Press...people that no one ever sees..there is like 12 of them probably.

Well before I get to my thoughts which will be ..Really? Yeaaaa!!! Interesting??!! First, some other notes..

A review is coming for Dark Waters. It wants to be a Spotlight...but fails.

My top 20 films of the decade is coming!!!! Look for it!! Remember my top 20 is not an artsy fartsy list, its 20 films I watched and thought...I really liked this and you probably will to!!!

In the Months ahead look for my annual The Shadow Awards which is more important then the Oscars because the awards were voted on by me!!! And only me.

Also coming will be my top ten films of the year.
And for real fun my worst ten movies of the year.

So keep watching the blog!!

BEST PICTURE DRAMA

Image result for the irishman

Image result for marriage story

Really?
A year ago Spielberg brought this up and was criticized. I am here to say I agree.

I am looking at A Marriage Story and The Irishman. Movies that came out to the regular public...not just critics but the regular public for a week to make them eligible for an Oscar and they go straight to Netflix or Amazon. I understand the other side. You have kids or some other reason and you want to see good films also, and you can not get out to the theater for many reasons. Or you live in a small town and cant find certain films. These are all fair points. However...I am here to say A marriage Story and The Irishman and Dolemite are Emmy movies not Oscar movies or Golden Globe Movie categories. This is a slippery slope...for two reasons. 1- Some movies like Knives Out...should be seen on the big screen. I realized on my second viewing that Knives Out is film that needs a crowd, it is more enjoyable with a large group. Laugh together...shriek together, it is a communal film to see in groups . I am not sure it will be the same at home. Some movies should be that way. I think the Irishman would not last in a theater...way over done. Three hours long. Bad CGI and make up which we would see clearer on the big screen. It is a TV movie.
2-This is real bad for art house cinemas who rely on the small films. Right now A Marriage Story is playing on Netflix. At the same time it opened this weekend at my art house I go to. Things like this will kill the art houses which is a small business in your communities. I am looking at Scorsese who preaches saving classic films. Well shut up, what about saving these small classic neighborhood theaters. Just saying!!


BEST MOVIE DRAMA

Interesting...

Image result for little women 2019

No Little Women????!!

Now I have not seen it yet but it has strong buzz. I hear it is very modern. Maybe foreign press does not like that?

Interesting...

Image result for richard jewell movie

No Richard Jewel?

Again, I have a screening for this later in the week, but is this a strike against the movie or the conservative Eastwood?

BEST ACTRESS DRAMA

YEEEEAAA!!

Image result for cynthia erivo

Cynthia Erivo for Harriet

Not a great film but a great performance,
I said last year watch this actress she could be a star!! I know my shit.
Treat yourself to Bad Times At The El Royale!! She can also sing...Tony Award winner! Also she will be Aretha in Genius.

Really?

Image result for daisy ridley

Daisy Ridley
This actress has come out of no where and carried a franchise on her back and has been wonderful. It is a physical role. A role with a lot of emotion. A role that even needs some comic timing. However she is ignored. Which begs to question...How can these nominations come out when they...the press has not seen The Rise Of Skywalker....maybe the biggest movie of the year next to Endgame. Speaking of Endgame...

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

Really?

Image result for Iron man

Robert Downey Jr as Tony Stark.
Movie critics are snobs. They want you to know how smart they are. God forbid they would ever enjoy something the majority of the world would. Well Downey Jr. acted the shit out of his part as Tony Stark in Endgame and was wonderful...period. So there.

BEST MOTION PICTURE COMEDY

Really?

Image result for rocketman poster

Rocketman. Really?
Enjoyable but...poorly edited. Messing with time constantly. Really bad writing.


Really?

Image result for booksmart

Image result for brittany runs a marathon

Booksmart
Brittany Runs A Marathon

Two of the best movies and funniest movies of the year. However as we know...critics do not like comedies or get comedy.


YEEEAAA!!!

Image result for ana de armas knives out

Anna De Armas in Knives Out!!!

She is awesome as the nurse who sees and hears everything. Note...back together with Craig in the next Bond film!!

Really?

Image result for kaitlyn dever booksmart

Beanie Feldstein yes...but no love for Kaitlyn Deaver in Booksmart. She is awesome...funny and filled with emotion!!

Really?
Image result for jillian bell

Jillian Bell in Brittany Runs A Marathon. Best female performance of the year. No question. Why is it ignored? I have no idea. But I do know I saw Cate Blanchett in Where'd You Go Bernadette and its a joke she got nominated.

BEST ACTOR IN A COMEDY

YEAAAA!!!

Image result for roman griffin davis

Roman Griffin Davis in Jo Jo Rabbit is so good and in every scene!!!

BEST DIRECTOR

Really?

Image result for director jojo rabbit

Taika Waititi directing Jo Jo Rabbit...has to keep this film walking a fine line between comedy and the harshness of war. He pulls it off. Plus while directing he plays Hitler...which probably is not easy to do. Of course the critics have to kiss Scorsese's ass..but I would have replace him or Todd Phillips here.


Well those are my thoughts on the Globe nominations ...the night of the awards are January 5th.
It is okay to disagree with me.

From the shadows as always thanks for your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Top 5 Films (And Recommended) Of 2024 At Six Months

Top 5 films that I have seen in the first 6 months of the year and maybe a book and album recommendation!!! Well let me get started...in no ...