Saturday, December 21, 2019

New Film Review: Cats

Image result for cats 2019

CATS
I went in with an open mind...knowing what has been said.

I want to start with Cats The Musical. Cats The Musical premiered in 1981. I just think it was a different time and place and it really does not register well here in 2019. Even back then I really think the story itself was not very popular, it was strange. I think the musical was popular for just 2 reasons: 1- A couple of songs highlighted by Midnight were popular
2-"Hey honey isn't fun to watch these people act like cats"
It really wasn't the story. I mean the story is strange and kinda creepy and odd.
The Jellicles, at the Jellicle Ball must decide which cat will...I guess float to the sky and live a new life. In other words die...at least I think.

So now we come to Cats The Movie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Look at me I will start out positive:

For the lead a new-comer Francesca Hayward was cast as in their lead Victoria. She is a Principle ballerina at the Royal Ballet school. She of course can dance but also she can sing. She is great in the part, she has the eyes and face of angel, and that is important because we have to connect to her and that is all she has to act with or express herself.
Hayward also sings a wonderful song which was written by Taylor Swift called Beautiful Ghosts.

Well...........here it comes..........and I hate to pile on...

Negatives: It all starts with the director Tom Cooper and his vision....

-The close ups!! This is a Broadway Musical on the big screen. There is a lot going on. It is big, but he constantly decided during all the songs to use close ups where we can not see the big vision. He wanted to show us the stars face constantly, almost to say "Hey look who is in this film". It was awkward for sure.
-The bad CGI on the cats. It was distracting. It felt like the cats bodies were ever changing in a strange creepy way. Speaking of which..........
-How tall or big were these cats??!! Some sets which were buildings all the same sizes, the cats were real small and sometimes real big, I was so confused.
-People out there are saying Jennifer Hudson as Grizabella singing Moonlight is the best thing. I disagree!! Moonlight is never suppose to be screamed...it is a sad song to feel the pain and longing it should not be shouted!! And why is snot coming out of her nose?!!
-More confusion. If some cats are wearing pants, are the other cats naked?
-The sets. It is a Broadway Musical!! Why did Tom Cooper decide not to use real sets?!! Why green screens? Why make it more complicated then it should be? The sets never had the feel of a real place. Then it goes back to...how big are these cats against the green screen of fake buildings?
-Idris Elba.What are you doing???!! No explanation needed.
-The false advertising that Taylor Swift stars in this. No she is in it for 5 minutes and just barely. Then throw in...she is awkward and awful.

I will stop. I watched this and thought...1- It should not have been made. It is not that great of a story and it is kind of creepy and strange. 2-While it was being made I think it got out of hand, and maybe while Cooper tried to fix it, it got worse. Just a guess. It is just sloppy.

I thought while watching this...I wonder if it would have worked as an animated film. We will never know.

1 star out of 5 for Cats..It is not good and very forgettable. The one star is for Francesca Hayward.

From the shadows as always thanks for your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Top 5 Films (And Recommended) Of 2024 At Six Months

Top 5 films that I have seen in the first 6 months of the year and maybe a book and album recommendation!!! Well let me get started...in no ...