Friday, December 27, 2019

New Film Review: Little Women 2019

Image result for little women 2019


LITTLE WOMEN 2019


I do not have to explain the plot for sure, but if you do not know this film follows the March girls and their lives. I am a fan of the story, in fact I am one of the rare people who liked the 2018 modern version.

Fantastic performances!!!!
Emma Watson as Meg
Florence Pugh as Amy
Eliza Scanlan as Beth
Laura Dern as Marmee (Mom), is Laura Dern one of the most underrated actresses?
Timothee Chalamet as Theodore Laurie Laurence (I think he over acts but I know many like him)
Chris Cooper as Mr Laurence, in a very nice soft role

The highlight is definitely Saoirse Ronan as Jo. Saoirse, as in most of her films, is the highlight. She attacks this role and is perfect as Jo.

I am a big fan of director of Greta Gerwig as a director and an actor. She took this classic Alcott story made it sort of modern yet not losing the place and time. What helps is the look, this film is beautiful. With help I am sure from her Cinematographer Yorick Le Saux every shot is beautiful and gorgeous looking. Then throw in the help she got from Costume Designer Jacqueline Durran, every outfit is so perfect and somehow each characters clothing matches his or her personality without losing the time period. All wrapped up in a bow the film looks great!

Negatives: Yes
Gerwig decided to change this version up and tell the story bouncing between timelines, a seven year span, which has us, the viewer, thinking often..."Wait where are we in time now? Where is Amy?". My tip is keep an eye on Jo's hair it helps tell you where you are in the story. It can be confusing, I am not sure if I liked this decision much. I understand she wanted to separate her story from other versions of the story....still it is confusing.
I thought the little twist at the end, with Jo having to add that her...I guess herself getting married as if she only added that to get book published kind of messes with the tone of the ending. I understand Gerwig wanted to add a more modern twist. However I think her point is false...I think she is saying if Jo gets married she cannot be an independent woman. Now I know it is time and place but if you are going modern slant with strong independent woman are you saying because she is married she is no longer "Jo"? MMMM? Jo when married can still be the same Jo. Just an odd twist.



All that being noted, this is a do not miss. It is a great story, well acted, and just beautiful! 4 1/2 stars out of 5 for Little Women 2019!!

From the shadows as always thanks for your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Top 5 Films (And Recommended) Of 2024 At Six Months

Top 5 films that I have seen in the first 6 months of the year and maybe a book and album recommendation!!! Well let me get started...in no ...