Friday, July 8, 2016

New Film Review: Secret Life Of Pets

Image result for secret life of pets


THE SECRET LIFE OF PETS

Directed by Yarrow Cheney and Chris Renaud
Screenplay by Cinco Paul; Ken Daurio; and Brian Lynch
Starring the voices of Kevin Hart; Louis C.K.; Eric Stonestreet;Jenny Slate




Well as the title and the trailer shows you it is about the secret lives of pets. However..............that is not true. Which is very sad, I thought the trailer was funny, and made me think that this film has a funny, kinda cool idea. Not so. What you see in the trailer I found to be the only funny parts which was very disappointing. I thought it would be a bunch of funny vignettes of what pets do when we are not there, that never happened. It was pretty much a film about two dogs who get lost in the city and have to find their way home. I think of a better film called Bolt with the same idea.
Then throw in the tone. The tone is mean. Frightening for little kids. The dogs run into scary things. Even dealing with the death of an owner.
Positives?
I looooooved the dog Gidget voiced wonderfully by Jenny Slate. I think she is the star and steals the film from the other leads. She is the dog who is positive and filled with love.
Another positive point takes place at the end of the film. A wonderful montage scene of the pets reacting to their owners coming home at the end of the day. So sweet, it makes you long for what the film could be or promised from the trailer to be.

2 stars out of 5 for The Secret Life Of Pets. Maybe 3 out of 5 for kids older than 8. See Bolt.

As always thanks for your time from the shadows.


No comments:

Post a Comment

My Top 5 Films (And Recommended) Of 2024 At Six Months

Top 5 films that I have seen in the first 6 months of the year and maybe a book and album recommendation!!! Well let me get started...in no ...