Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Oscar Weekend! Who Will/Who Should Win. And Thoughts On The Controversy!

Image result for oscars

Oscar weekend is upon us!! After all the controversy I know there is a damper put on this year. The "White Out" of the Oscars has been written about and has been given, unfairly so, more attention than the Nominees themselves who really did nothing here.
My opinion? We are dealing with three individuals:
Michael B Jordan from Creed
Ryan Cooler Director Creed
Will Smith Concussion

 I know some are thinking are thinking Beast Of No Nation's Idris Elba. That issue is not color there. That issue is bringing out the film one day to a theatre and then showing it on Netflix. No luck Netflix. The Academy rightfully so avoided him and that film. The Academy has to stand with the National Theatre Ownership. They cannot bite the hand that feeds them, and I agree. Maybe an Emmy? But not an Oscar. And yes people say.... What about short films? Get back to me when an actor from a modern short film gets an Oscar nod and then I will discuss.
As for the controversy..I would replace Bryan Cranston in Trumbo with either Jordan or Smith. Cranston  was just okay in my opinion. As for director...I cannot fight for Cooler who did well with Creed but Ridley Scott not being nominated for the Martain is a bigger issue.
Now here is the big problem, look what I did I named three African Americans. Three. Just three. Out of all the films just three. Back when I did my review of Benghazi I noted that the world and press love to go after the who and not focus on the why. Just three snubs should show the press the bigger problem. The who, people were looking at the Academy. Huh? What did they do? They picked who they thought was the best. Simple. You can disagree but in reality, it is fun and I enjoy the award show but in the grand scheme of things, it is just an awards show. In reality a bunch of rich famous people patting themselves on the back. Me, I just like to watch the competition. Now back to the problem. The why. It is because people of color are not getting the opportunity to make or be hired for parts in well written movies. It runs much deeper than the stupid Oscars. It is all about opportunities. That is what needs to change. And that may be getting rid of the old guard in studios. Or more people of color getting the opportunity as screenwriters or more people of color wanting to be screenwriters. This is where change has to start not with stupid Oscar votes. I kind of feel bad for winners this year because their win gets dampened by this controversy that they had nothing to do with.
Oh......look for Birth Of A Nation at the Next Oscars.

NOW WHO WILL WIN/ WHO I WANT TO WIN /WHO SHOULD/WHO WAS IGNORED!!

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Nominees:Christian Bale, The Big ShortTom Hardy, The RevenantMark Ruffalo, SpotlightMark Rylance, Bridge of SpiesSylvester Stallone, Creed
 
Who I Want.....Sylvester Stallone
Who Should......Tom Hardy...great performance also a good performance in Mad Max
Who Will..........Sylvester Stallone sort of a lifetime achievement which is okay.

Image result for jacob tremblay

Snub?! Jacob Tremblay in Room. One of the best performances of the year period!!

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Nominees:Jennifer Jason Leigh, The Hateful EightRooney Mara, CarolRachel McAdams, SpotlightAlicia Vikander, The Danish GirlKate Winslet, Steve Jobs

 Who I want.....Alicia Vikander ...I mean a great performance but she also had a great year.
Who Should ....Alicia  Vikander
Who Will......... Kate Winslet

Image result for julie walters brooklyn

Snub?!...Julie Walters is funny and sweet in Brooklyn as Mrs Keogh

 
BEST ACTOR
Nominees:Bryan Cranston, TrumboMatt Damon, The MartianLeonardo DiCaprio, The RevenantMichael Fassbender, Steve JobsEddie Redmayne, The Danish Girl
 
Who I Want/Who Should/Who Will...Leonardo DiCaprio just an outstanding performance
 
Image result for oscar isaac ex machina
 
Snub? Oscar Issac for Ex Machina. Yes this great pilot in Star Wars was amazing in Ex Machina and can dance...sadly!
 
BEST ACTRESS
Nominees:Cate Blanchett, CarolBrie Larson, RoomJennifer Lawrence, JoyCharlotte Rampling, 45 YearsSaoirse Ronan, Brooklyn

Who I want...Oh it is so hard!!! Larson or Ronan I cant decide!!!!
Who Should...Larson
Who will....this is really close because Brooklyn has been gaining in popularity..I think Ronan may sneak away with this.

Image result for daisy ridley star wars

Snub?Daisy Ridley in the Force Awakens. Why not????!!! She carried the film!!! She was amazing!!

BEST DIRECTOR
Nominees:Lenny Abrahamson, RoomAlejandro González Iñárritu, The RevenantTom McCarthy, SpotlightAdam McKay, The Big ShortGeorge Miller, Mad Max: Fury Road
 
Will/Should Win...Alejandro Gonzales Inarritu
Who I want To See Win Lenny Abrahamson I thought it was a tough film to direct because of the subject and directing a child is never easy.
 
Image result for Ridley scott the martian movie
 
Snubbed???!! I would love to go with JJ but..... What happened here???!! Ridley Scott for The Martain!!
 
BEST PICTURE
Nominees:The Big ShortBridge of SpiesBrooklynMad Max: Fury RoadThe MartianThe RevenantRoomSpotlight
 
Maybe the closest Oscar race ever. Every film here except maybe Bridge of Spies has a shot.
 
Who Should Win....The Martian was popular and close to perfect. So different.
Who I Want....Brooklyn..it is gaining steam..it is just a simple film that stays with you
Who Will....The Revenant right now has a little edge over Mad Max and Spotlight
 
Image result for exmachina
 
Maybe The Force Awakens but it was too similar to the first. Not that it was not great..but that gave Ex machine the edge in the snub. It is just so different.
 
Well there are my picks, be careful not to trip on the red carpet.
 
As always thanks for the time from the Oscar shadows.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Top 5 Films (And Recommended) Of 2024 At Six Months

Top 5 films that I have seen in the first 6 months of the year and maybe a book and album recommendation!!! Well let me get started...in no ...