Friday, February 12, 2016

New Film Review: How To Be Single

Image result for how to be single

HOW TO BE SINGLE
Directed by Christian Ditter
Screenplay by Abby Cohn; Dana Fox; and Mark Silverstein
Based on the book by Liz Tuccillo
Starring Dakota Johnson; Rebel Wilson; Leslie Mann; Jake Lacy; Anders Holm; and Damon Wayans Jr




I am getting right to the point here. I saw this trailer and then I thought uhoh.
I am here to say or blog......I liked this movie!!
The one thing to know is....this is not a comedy. It is real life. It works. What looks like what could be a predictable film really is not.
Lets see why:
Dakota Johnson...Leaving her long time boyfriend to see how she does being unattached. First my blinders may be on for her. I love her. I loved her going back to a wonderful TV series called Ben and Kate. If you can find it watch it. She is fantastic in it. Yes, she got beat up a bit in Fifty Shades, However I thought she was great in it playing off a guy being stiff (no pun intended). Here as Alice she steals the film. You feel her confusion as she seems to be swimming up stream trying to find her place and single life.
Leslie Mann....I think she is always wonderful and here she is again. She represents the older single woman trying to be a successful career woman and trying to figure out how to bring a partner into it. Now Jake Lacy plays the young man chasing her. He is coming off a good performance in Love The Coopers, here he plays almost the same character. The chemistry between him and Mann is fantastic. I wanted to see more of them.
Rebel Wilson....I worry about her being a one act actress as I watched this. I also thought in the beginning her character was not really needed. However as the film went on she becomes a more rounded individual or single person. A different type of single person.
Alison Brie....who played  Lucy in this film was good but...I really did not care about her or the bartender she was friends with. I just did not care and she could have been cut from the film and I would have been fine with the focus just being on the other three ladies.

One more quick note Damon Wayans Jr is wonderful in this film playing a single father.

Well all in all I was pleasantly surprised by this. It just felt well written and real.
3 1/2 stars out of 5 for How To Be Single. At the end you feel like the film just lays there but it sticks with you.

From The Shadows as always thanks for your time.



No comments:

Post a Comment

My Top 5 Films (And Recommended) Of 2024 At Six Months

Top 5 films that I have seen in the first 6 months of the year and maybe a book and album recommendation!!! Well let me get started...in no ...