Monday, November 30, 2015

New Film Review: Hunger Games Mockingjay Pt2

Image result for mockingjay part 2 movie poster 2015

HUNGER GAMES MOCKINGJAY PT 2
Directed by Francis Lawrence
Screenplay by Peter Craig and Danny Strong
Based on the book by Suzanne Collins
Starring Jennifer Lawrence; Josh Hutcherson; Liam Hensworth; Julianne Moore;  and Donald Sutherland



As the war of Panem escalates to the destruction of other districts by the Capitol, Katniss Everdeen, the reluctant leader of the rebellion, must bring together an army against President Snow, while all she holds dear hangs in the balance.

I am kind of glad I did not read the books. I hear that this film has a lot of differences from the book. I can clearly judge this based on just the film, and it is a very good film. In fact I would rank it 2nd best just under the first Hunger Games film.
It is a very exciting film, it is pretty much a war movie, and because it is a war film it is violent.
I am almost shocked this was a youth novel. Still this film was just under 2 1/2 hours and it flew by going from one battle scene to another. Just edge of your seat excitement.
Negatives?
I never really took to Peeta/Josh Hutcherson. I thought he was miscast and always annoying and to the end I never really saw what Katness did see in him. That negative I have is a big flaw I find in the film because it is the underlying theme of the film, love and war.
I also thought the character of Gale Hawthorne/Liam Hensworth was not really fleshed out (However I hear he was in the book). Which is sad because I found him more interesting than Peeta.
My final thoughts:
Two actors. First Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss. I know a lot of people are waiting to see if her performance in Joy is Oscar worthy. Well what about here? Katness has been in almost every scene in all 4 films. Here in the last one, she is an emotional mess and you feel for her and cheer her on. Yes, I know the best actress field this year is crowded but there should be room for her for this role.
Donald Sutherland as President Snow. The evil button pusher. Through the past films he has had a slow burn coming into this one, where here he shines at pure smiling evil. Best Supporting Oscar Nomination??!!
Well 4 out of 5 stars for Mockingjay Part 2. Coming off the awful part 1, the series redeemed itself in the big finally.

As always thanks for your time from the shadows.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Top 5 Films (And Recommended) Of 2024 At Six Months

Top 5 films that I have seen in the first 6 months of the year and maybe a book and album recommendation!!! Well let me get started...in no ...