Thursday, April 22, 2021

New Film Review: The Trial Of The Chicago 7


THE TRIAL OF THE CHICAGO 7

Direction and Screenplay by Aaron Sorkin

The story of seven people on trial for various charges surrounding the uprising around the 1968 Democratic National Convention.

I do not get it!! The love for this film!! Where do I start?

There are only two interesting characters worth paying attention to here:
Bobby Seale played wonderfully by Yahya Abdul-Mateen. Seale got arrested  just because he was there and black. Its so ridiculous yet the film almost totally ignores that story. He becomes a side note!!!!!!!!!! Ugh!!
William Kuntsler played by the great actor Mark Rylance. Kuntsler is just exasperated trying to defend a bunch of assholes (more on that later) and trying to help Seale who has shitty representation. As always Rylance is great.

I hated this film. A film that went no where because in the end, if you watched it, meant nothing because everything was over turned anyway...and we do not see that.
Here is the thing, and it is happening now in our society, just because you march for a good reason does not give you the right to be an asshole or because you are out marching does not not hide the fact that you may be already an asshole. In this film...almost everyone is an asshole except for the two previously mentioned characters. the six on trial unlikable. Politicians are unlikable. The judge crazy and unlikable. The film is unlikable.
Now I really do not get the love for Sacha Baron Cohen. I get the feeling he mostly plays characters who are jerks because it is easy for him because I get the feeling in life he is a jerk. My opinion from reading interviews.
I also want to note the costuming and hair. The costuming and hair for this film is god awful. It looks like it was done by a local high school production of HAIR. I mean just look at Jeremy Strong. Lets have every one dress as well tailored hippies lol.

I want to throw a thumbs up to Eddie Redmayne as Tom Hayden who is kinda stuck in this web but acting circles around the "6".

I will give this film 2 stars out of 5 mainly because of Redmayne; Rylance; and Abdul-Manteen. I love people jump on these films because it makes them feel good that they watched it. So they announce to the world I saw this and I loved it, look at me. Yea. Well. The movie is annoying. With a bunch of annoying people with no ending, because the ending happens after the film. Yes its a moment of history but, not well done.

From the shadows as always thanks for your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Top 5 Films (And Recommended) Of 2024 At Six Months

Top 5 films that I have seen in the first 6 months of the year and maybe a book and album recommendation!!! Well let me get started...in no ...