Thursday, April 22, 2021

New Film Review: Land


LAND

Directed by Robin Wright
Screenplay Jesse Chatham and Erin Digman


A woman seeks a new life alone in the mountains in Wyoming.

Okay this may be short, because I want to keep it spoiler free.

Positives:

Amazing job by Robin Wright as the lead and directing this film. She puts you in the middle of the beauty and the struggles of it all. She plays Edee as almost a mystery. She is brave, yet we find a bit naive. She reminded me a little bit of Cheryl Strayed in the film/book Wild played by Reese Witherspoon.  

The Cinematography by Bobby Bukowski...no words..just watch the film...so good.

Then there is Demian Bichir as Miguel. I mean has he ever given a bad performance? Here as Miguel he becomes a hero; a companion; and also he, like Edee holds a secret.

Negatives

I watched this film twice and I like the film more the second time. I still find the story is nice and beautiful, yet we really don't know the back story of Edee, we only get pieces. I kinda wish Wright made the decision to do what was done in the film Wild, to slowly bleed in the background story of her life before her isolation on the mountains. We really don't know her. Then we really don't know, no spoiler, where she goes from here.

Still, this 90 minute film flies by, you will have tears at the end and a little hope which I loved. Robin Wright is so good in this film, I just loved her and felt for her. 
4 out of 5 stars for just a wonderful piece of work by Robin Wright.

From the shadows as always thanks for your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Top 5 Films (And Recommended) Of 2024 At Six Months

Top 5 films that I have seen in the first 6 months of the year and maybe a book and album recommendation!!! Well let me get started...in no ...