Thursday, April 22, 2021

New Film Review: Sound Of Metal


THE SOUND OF METAL

Directed by Darius Marder
Screenplay by Abraham and Darius Marder


A heavy metal drummer world gets thrown upside down when he starts to use his hearing.

Sometimes, and it usually happens to me once or twice a year, I am surprised. This was a surprise. I go in thinking that this will be a artsy film where I will not care about anyone just by seeing the trailer. I leave loving every one.

Let me get to the positives:

The acting...
Riz Ahmed as Ruben playing a deaf person, learning sign language for the part. Learning drumming for the part. Saying so much with his eyes. This is really really a wonderful performance.
Paul Raci as Joe Ruben's mentor. Such a wonderful soft performance also often done in sign language.
Lets not forget the thankless role of Olivia Cooke as Lou. Her life changes drastically also as her boyfriend loses his hearing. It's also life altering. Her performance is so soft and delicate, its a shame it gets ignored when people talk about this film. She is very good.

The screenplay...
The story is so different, your heart hurts for all involved and you still have hope if they do the right thing.
The screenplay is also not afraid of silence. Which is an important part of telling this story and it works

I only have a couple of negatives:
I wish while Ruben was in this encampment, we would have cut back to Lou and find out about her path. We do get a hint of where she is in life toward the end but I would like to see her developments along the way.
I also don't like the open ending, no spoilers, I will leave it there.

4 out of 5 stars for the wonderful Sound Of Metal

From the shadows thanks for your time.





No comments:

Post a Comment

My Top 5 Films (And Recommended) Of 2024 At Six Months

Top 5 films that I have seen in the first 6 months of the year and maybe a book and album recommendation!!! Well let me get started...in no ...