Monday, March 27, 2017

New Film Review: Life

Image result for life movie




LIFE
Directed by Daniel Espinosa
Screenplay by Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick
Starring Jake Gyllenhaal; Ryan Reynolds; Rebecca Ferguson; Hiroyuki Sanada; Ariyon Bakare; and Olga Dihovichnaya



6 astronauts or research scientist are in big trouble as they underestimate the first life form or alien grown or born in space.

Let me get right to it.....

Problems:

-This obviously will be compared to Alien/Aliens movie and rightfully so. It has the same theme. When you watch these films, note the one thing they do right is..that you really do not deal with aliens until about 30-45 minutes in. During that time they do a really good job of developing the characters. Before the war starts you know the personalities and backgrounds of all that are involved.
In Life...this does not happen. It is the biggest weakness of the film. We really don't care about anyone. Do not get me wrong, I care when good people die in films but here I felt I was not vested.

-Then it is creepy how they die. Often I wanted to get up and leave. Think Aliens again. They are there and now they are gone. Sometimes they are cocooned but we do not watch it for minutes on,. I do not find pleasure of a slow death watch. Life has many a slow death watch.

-The Life form is just odd, personality wise. It is a clear glob that grows but....it is  just a glob.

-The ending is flat and just stupid.

The good:

-You pay for scares and you sure get it. Well that is something.

2 out of 5 stars for the disappointing slightly annoying LIFE

From the shadows as always thanks for your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Top 5 Films (And Recommended) Of 2024 At Six Months

Top 5 films that I have seen in the first 6 months of the year and maybe a book and album recommendation!!! Well let me get started...in no ...