Friday, March 17, 2017

New Film Review Before The Fall

Image result for before i fall

BEFORE I FALL

Directed by Ry Russo-Young
Screenplay by Maria Maggenti
Based on the book by Lauren Oliver
Starring Zoey Deutch; Halston Sage; and Elena Kampouris




It is a strange film involving a high school student who crashes in her car after a party, and wakes up that same morning living the day over and over again Ala Groundhog Day.

I love the idea....Samantha played wonderfully by Zoey Deutch ...lives her day as a high school student over and over again, hoping to fix her and her friends bad behavior of:
Bullying
Love for the wrong reasons
Unnecessary bad treatment to family
Understanding mental illness.

All this works. As we kind of watch Samantha grow into an adult as the day plays out over and over again.
Yet.....the problem I find is that all of Samantha's school mates are so generic and annoying and boring. There is not much to them. they are just walking cliches. From the rude asshole boyfriend to the boy who watches from a distance to the leader of the girl pack who is a jerk. It almost seems like lazy writing. This all leads to a strange ending leaving an umbrella of sadness.

Positives?
Well I already mentioned Zoey Deutch as Samantha being wonderful.
Elena Kamopuris as Juliet is wonderful as the girl who holds secrets while she gets treated like a disease. Love her. I just wished they gave her more of a spotlight. Juliet and Samantha were the most interesting characters.

Well 3 stars out of 5 for Before I Fall. I understand the idea. Live each day with love. treat each other with kindness. Remember where you come from. Respect others. It is just ...again a cliche and also sad. I have to wonder if the book dug deeper into each character.

From the shadows as always thanks for your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Top 5 Films (And Recommended) Of 2024 At Six Months

Top 5 films that I have seen in the first 6 months of the year and maybe a book and album recommendation!!! Well let me get started...in no ...