Tuesday, September 27, 2016

New Releases For Home Viewing: A Very Good Week Of Releases!!

Image result for The Shallows

It is a good week for home viewing this week, with three pretty good films!!

THE SHALLOWS

Directed by Jaume Collet-Serra
Screenplay byAnthony Jaswinsky
Starring Blake Lively



So no description needed because you see the trailer.
This film surprised me.......I was on the edge of my seat for most of it. I was grossed out often. This film just sucked me in...I really liked it. So...why?

-Yes you will think that this girl was really stupid...being out on a beach surfing in a place she knows nothing about and being by herself. Yes not a very smart move. However, surfers do this. They wake up and grab a board and catch some waves to start their day. To them it is like exercise. So I see this as realistic. I am glad that Blake Lively was a DR to be, she is not stupid, she just made a unlucky decision, and that happens.

-This film is gorgeous. It was filmed off the Gold Coast Of Australia. Crystal clear water (You can see the shark circling) that almost acts as a character in the film. Just beautiful. Thumbs up to cinematographer Flavio Martinez. Also throw in the fantastic surfing scenes.

-Blake Lively. She is clearly in great shape and looks the part. You have no doubt that she is strong enough and smart enough to handle this situation. Also note, she is all by herself in this film for most of it, so she is acting and not speaking most of the time. So as a viewer you learn from her expressions (and her pain). She is really good in this role.

-The film is only 85 minutes. It does not overstay its welcome. Also, it is exhausting, I could not take more than 85 minutes!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, I know this film is a little better than a B-Movie budget wise. And Yes I know the last 15 minutes are severely lacking (The finish is disappointing). Still you come to this film after seeing the trailer wanting tension and excitement and this film delivers. 4 out of 5 stars for The Shallows.


CENTRAL INTELLIGENCE
Directed by Rawson Marshall Thurber
Screenplay by Rawson Marshall Thurber; Ike Barinholtz; and David Stasson
Starring Dwayne Johnson; Kevin Hart; and Amy Ryan



After meeting up with an old school mate Bob Stone (Johnson); Calvin Joyner (Hart) is lured into a international issue.

When I first saw the trailer I thought right away that this film will be the same as Hart's Ride Along films, however here Johnson will just replace Ice Cube. I was wrong. This film shows how funny Dwayne Johnson can be. Ice Cube was not funny in Ride Along 1 and 2. He was the straight-man for Hart. Here Johnson gets as many laughs as Hart. His character is plain odd. He is always positive no matter what the danger and oddly always pleasant. He plays against his type, I mean he wears unicorn shirts because he loves them.  In fact part of the story line is that Calvin has to decide if Bob Stone is just an overly nice guy or psychotic. I will stop there, no spoilers.
 Now, I do not want to go into all the funny moments, again no spoilers here, however I can tell you during my screening the crowd seemed to be constantly laughing. Also I have to mention one of the biggest shockers in this film is a big cameo at the end for about a minute. When this person turned people actually started laughing and clapping. How they kept this a secret through all the press junkets is impressive. Did I mention No Spoilers??!! And if you see it...do not spoil it for others.

Problems?
Oh yes there was.
The story line make no sense. I mean no sense. I understand it is about the comedy team here but...it seemed like as things developed they just gave up on the story. They had no idea how to close the whole CIA story line. Yes the chase and the mystery was fun, and funny, but as we just saw in the buddy investigation comedy The Nice Guys, it helps to have a plot that comes together and makes sense. Also, I would put money down that this film has the most gun shot misses than any film this year and maybe last year. They must have hired storm troopers.
Another problem, and it kills me to say, is the incredible actress Amy Ryan. Ryan plays lead investigator of the CIA, and is miscast. I never thought I would ever type Amy Ryan is miscast but it is true. I did not believe her in this part for a second and that is a huuuuuge problem because she is who they are trying to run from or avoid.

With all that being noted ...I understand why people go to see this film. For comedy.....and it clearly delivers. For action....yes plenty of action. Chemistry between the two leads...it has that. So it deserves 3 1/2 stars out of 5. It delivers what you want. I always say I am not a snotty reviewer, just telling you if you should spend your hard earned money at the theatre on films I review. This just has a loose story line.
A quick note....it also has a nice umbrella of a story that pulls the film together about bullying and the recovery of who is bullied.


MIKE AND DAVID NEED WEDDING DATES

Directed by Jake Szymanski
Screenplay by Andrew Jay Cohen and Brendan O'Brien
Starring Zac Efron; Adam Devine; Anna Kendrick; and Aubrey Plaza




Well obviously the plot is Mike and David need wedding dates.
This film is an example of why I do this. This is a film that critics will probably crush. They are just too smart and they want to tell you that!! In fact one critic said, "an unbelievable crazy script". Okay!!! Did not do his homework. This is based on a real story. And in fact some of the craziest things are true and not the "based on" part. Yes...true story!!!!!!!!!
Why do you go see Mike And David? To laugh. To get away from the awful news on the TV and just have fun. Mike And David delivers
I laughed often while watching this. All four leads are all in and are fantastic as four self involved goofballs.May be one of the funniest films of the year so far. Plus it has a wonderful backdrop of Hawaii.

Negatives:
It had trouble closing. The last half hour seemed messy, making the movie feel long, for a 98 minute film, that is not good.
I also felt two of the leads Efron and Kendrick had no chemistry. They were real good individually in their parts but together it was sort of awkward and not believable.

Well anyway this is a slapstick nutty kind of film. There is a massage scene I promise that you will not forget. Just stupid humor that works.

Wanted to note Sugar Lyn Beard as Jeanie Stangle who is the boys sister who is getting married is fantastic and hilarious. She keeps up with the four stars that is for sure.

3 1/2 stars out of 5 for Mike And David Need Wedding Dates. Again, this film will not save the world, but it is a funny film. This is what Neighbors 2 wanted to be.  Also watch through the credits for some real funny outtakes.

From the shadows as always thanks for your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Top 5 Films (And Recommended) Of 2024 At Six Months

Top 5 films that I have seen in the first 6 months of the year and maybe a book and album recommendation!!! Well let me get started...in no ...