Tuesday, September 6, 2016

New Release This Week On Blu-Ray --Iron Giant

Image result for iron giant

Only one new release this week, which is kind of a old release. However this one is exciting because for the first time on Blu-Ray come The Iron Giant.

Directed by Brad Bird (Yes that Brad Bird)
Screenplay by Tim McCanlie and Brad Bird
Based on the book by Ted Hughes
Voiced by Jennifer Aniston; Harry Connick Jr. Vin Diesel; and Eli Marienthal





Well if you have been living under a rock, this is the story of a boy and his robot. I was thinking today it pretty much is the latest Pete's Dragon with a robot instead of a dragon. It is a classic. Pretty much a cult classic.
I will do a Fun And Not So Fun Facts in a minute, but first give me a moment to reminisce forgive me.

When I think about, or when I watch the Iron Giant I think about one of my favorite, and one of the nicest people I ever met, Steve Friedman,
I grew up in suburban Philly. Every Saturday night and sometimes Fridays...Steve Friedman  or Mr. Movie as he was called, had a night time talk show. Sometime these shows would run all night talking about nothing about films. I liked films, after the first time I listened to him I loved films. How could I not. He spoke with so much passion and knowledge. After the first time I listened, I became a regular listener. He worked from a local station in my area but he was heard, or picked up across the country and into Canada. He had an encyclopedia mind for movies. He, without books or computer, could tell you everything about every film ever made. You could not stump him. Roger Ebert called him the most knowledgeable man he knew about films. I had the pleasure to meet him a couple of times, as he was on his show (Which is different from all the screamers and nastiness today), he was always kind, and had a wonderful smart sense of humor. Around 2004 Steve started dialysis for kidney disease. In 2009 he finished a show, went home turned on a movie sat down and while watching he passed away. It was sad day for broadcasting. He was a man who was before his time. If he was alive today he would most likely have his own popular podcast or Youtube channel. Personally my life has had many hardships, not many great memories. However a pleasant memory was going to bed with the radio on, listening to Mr Movie and learning to love film. A movie theater a place where the real world drifts away. One of Steve's all time favorite films......The Iron Giant!!!

Now for fun and not so fun facts:

-The Iron Giant only says 53 words

-First traditionally animated full length film to have a title character to be fully computer animated.

-Then film is set in 1957. The same year Brad Bird was born.

-The film was executive produced by Peter Townshend. Yes. The Who!! Peter Townshend

-In fact it was originally meant to be a musical

-It was deemed a box office failure.Grossing only 23 million with a 70 million dollar budget. It debuted the same weekend as The Sixth Sense.

-Vin Diesel voiced the Iron Giant but also Groot in Guardians Of The Galaxy. Both films the sound tech was Doc Kane

- The last name of Annie and Hogarth ...Hughes is a tip of the hat to the books author Ted Hughes.

-Brad Bird went on to direct The Incredibles and Ratatouille

Well of course 5 out of 5 for The Iron Giant. Yes it may seem dated in animation but the look still works for me and so does the story. Treat yourself the 10 dollars and get the Blu-Ray.

From the shadows as always thanks for your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Top 5 Films (And Recommended) Of 2024 At Six Months

Top 5 films that I have seen in the first 6 months of the year and maybe a book and album recommendation!!! Well let me get started...in no ...