Friday, April 8, 2016

New Film Review: The Boss

Image result for the boss

THE BOSS

Directed by Beth Falcone
Screenplay by Beth Falcone; Steve Mallory; and Melissa McCarthy
Starring Melissa McCarthy; Kristen Bell; Peter Dinklage; and Ella Anderson



Melissa McCarthy plays an unlikable business woman who loses everything and now has to find her way back up.

No spoilers here. I just wanted it to be or expected it to be funnier.
I think it is well acted. It just feels messy and sometimes just mean and cruel.
The Film lacks rhythm.

The problem is I cannot put my finger on the problem:
The screenplay is not overly funny.
Peter Dinklage is shockingly funnier than McCarthy. I mean he really is good in this movie. Problem is he is only in the film for 1/4 of it.
Kristen Bell, who is funny in other films, seems strangely out of place here.
The film seems long which is not good for a comedy. For comedies you want them to click like a drum beat and you should always want more.
It is just a bunch of little things. For example: There is a teeth whitening scene that was suppose to be funny. However, in the theater it got no laughs. Not one. I think everybody was just grossed out.
Maybe the problem is with Ben Falcone. Maybe he could not tell his wife, McCarthy, no that is not going to work. Lets pull back.

The Good?

It has a nice message about picking yourself up and rising above the struggles of your youth.
It does have some funny parts, just some.

2 1/2 stars out of 5 for The Boss. I would say you can wait for home viewing. It will work for a nice film to watch at home from the couch.

From the shadows as always thanks for your time.


No comments:

Post a Comment

My Top 5 Films (And Recommended) Of 2024 At Six Months

Top 5 films that I have seen in the first 6 months of the year and maybe a book and album recommendation!!! Well let me get started...in no ...