Thursday, March 31, 2016

New Film Review: Hello My Name Is Doris

Image result for hello my name is doris

HELLO MY NAME IS DORIS

Directed by:Michael Showalter
Screenplay by Laura Terruso and Michael Showalter
Starring: Sally Field: Tyne Daly; and Max Greenfield



After her mother passes away, Doris (Sally Field) slowly makes some changes in her life including developing a crush on John (Max Greenfield) at work.

Sally Field!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Will Oscar voters remember this!!!
I am telling you right now...shame on the voters if they do forget. What a performance. A little humor and filled with sadness and a little hope.

Then they throw in a lot of nice smaller performances with Max Greenfield as John; Tyne Daly as Doris's best friend Roz (a wonderful touching scene at the end); Elizabeth Reaser as Doris's therapist (I have yet to see her give a bad performance); and a little fantastic part by Beth Behrs (2 Broke Girls).

So with all those fantastic performances, does the script hold up?
It depends on how you approach  it. This movie is not a comedy. It sure looks like it from the trailer.
This film is close to heartbreaking. There is nothing funny about what Doris is doing and clearly there are issues there. No spoilers here, but there are two scenes at the end that just are soooo well acted and at the same time I had to cover my eyes it was so hard to watch. Heartbreaking.

It is not an enjoyable film. There is almost a sad desperation you are watching on the screen.
So it is a good film, however not enjoyable to watch. I know!!!! All depends how you approach it.
3 1/2 stars out of 5 for the acting in Hello My Name Is Doris. Sally Field is unbelievable I wish the script was less...sad. I know I contradict myself here about this film often, because I want you all to go see this performance!! UGH!!

From The shadows as always thanks for your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Top 5 Films (And Recommended) Of 2024 At Six Months

Top 5 films that I have seen in the first 6 months of the year and maybe a book and album recommendation!!! Well let me get started...in no ...