Friday, March 11, 2016

New Film Review: 10 Cloverfield Lane

Image result for 10 cloverfield lane

10 CLOVERFIELD LANE
Directed by Dan Trachenberg
Screenplay by Josh Campbell; Matthew Stuecken; and Damien Chazelle
Starring: John Goodman; Mary Elizabeth Winstead; and John Gallagher jr



During the preview that I was able to see I was asked to not give up to many plot points and or spoilers. Me? I do not do spoilers so no problem.
The funny thing about this film is JJ Abrams did not write it or direct it. However he produced this film and you can kind of see his hands all over it.
What you have here are three people in a bunker. It is intense. It touches a little bit on other films like ExMachina or maybe Room. You have read about people who prepare for the end of society by building bunkers, however it asks the question: Staying under ground, possibly with someone you do not trust or drives you crazy...is that the better option?
This film is intense, filled with twists and turns, and surprisingly a good amount of humor.
Three fantastic performances:
John Goodman....I mean has John Goodman ever been a film that sucked? Here he is fantastic.
Mary Elizabeth Winstead...I have only seen her once in The Spectacular Now and that was a small part. Here, as Michelle, she is in every scene and is wonderful doing a lot of this performance by emitting emotion with a look from a distance. This is a breakout performance.
John Gallagher Jr..he gives the film some dry humor as Emmett. He reminded me a lot Jason Sudeikis, but he is a much better actor than Jason Sudeikis.
Is this a follow up to Cloverfield? Is it an end of the world scenario or a crazy kidnapper story?
You are not getting that answer here!!!
4 1/2 out of 5 stars for 10 Cloverfield Lane. Wow!!!!! Close to a perfect film. Note: A perfect film to me has to be a film you want to see over and over and over again. After I watch this once, I am not sure after seeing the twist and turns and mysteries being revealed, I would want to see it over and over again.  Yes and that is the only reason it did not get a 5 out of 5. This is what going to the movies is suppose to be...just a fun film, and by the way with a good soundtrack.

From the shadow as always thanks for your time as always.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Top 5 Films (And Recommended) Of 2024 At Six Months

Top 5 films that I have seen in the first 6 months of the year and maybe a book and album recommendation!!! Well let me get started...in no ...