Thursday, February 19, 2015

Oscar week!!! Part 3!!

Continuing my top 10 movies of 2014!
So far:
10-Grand Budapest Hotel
9-The Immigrant
8-Maleficent
7-Whiplash
6-Trip To Italy
5-Belle


So now we come to number 4.


4-The Fault In Our Stars
Based on the book with the same name by John Greene
Written by Scott Neustadter and Michael Weber
Directed by Josh Boone
Starring Shailene Woodley and Ansel Elgort




Two teens, Hazel and Gus, both who have different cancer conditions fall in love after meeting at a cancer support group.
 I had no interest. I really did not. Why would I want to see a film about two teens with cancer?! Then the film came out with wonderful reviews. Then I thought okay suck it up and go. Wow! The first thing you notice is the wonderful chemistry between Woodley and Elgort. Then you watch and realize this film is not about dying it is about living in the face of dying. In reality...aren't we all. However Hazel and Gus have an idea when the end may be coming as opposed to most of us. It is a story of living and loving. Woodley is fantastic. Elgort is kind of stiff, but I think his character is suppose to be. With Hazel being just a ball of emotions he is like the rock. They work well together. A quick note....Laura Dern!! As Frannie Hazel's mom. Fantastic!! Is the end sad. Yes. However strangely uplifting. Life.

Number 4: The Fault In Our Stars


3-American Sniper
Based on the book by Chris Kyle
Written by Jason Hall
Directed by Clint Eastwood
Starring: Bradley Cooper and Sienna Miller




No synopsis needed here. You know (unless you are living in a cave) the story.
Another movie I really was not looking forward to seeing. Not because of the subject, but because Eastwood directed it. He makes good films but think about it, there is death at the end of all his movies. UGH!
Just a couple thoughts on this film:
1-Bradley Cooper is great in this movie. He says so little, but his face says sooo much.
2- The controversy. My thoughts: Somebody has to do the dirty work. It was that way in WW1. In WW2. In Korea. In Vietnam. And will be in the future. I think some people are up in arms because they see it here. It is a tough job physically and mentally but has to be done. Get the one, before that one gets maybe thousands of us. Chris Kyle is a hero. It is a hard movie to recommend because I like to recommend movies I like to watch more than once. As of this date I still cant bring myself to watch this again. Maybe that is why, and maybe the only reason this film is not at the top of my list.
Number 3-American Sniper


Number 2-Top Five
Written and Directed by Chris Rock
Starring Chris Rock and Rosario Dawson




First lets get this out of the way: Really Top Five Better than American Sniper? Top Five: Was I entertained? More than I thought I would be. Did the movie deliver? Way more than the trailer. I just felt this film I would watch more then once...and still enjoy it. And I love to laugh and it is my preference to laugh then cry.

It cannot be a coincidence that Chris Rock wrote this movie after being in Julie Delpy's 2 days in New York. This film is pretty much like Richard Linklater's Before Sunrise/Before Sunset/Before Midnight films which starred Julie Delpy. Chris Rock's film takes place in New York City and instead of Julie Delpy and Ethan Hawke walking around it is Rock and Dawson.
Chris plays an actor trying to keep his career going in the face of his reality-TV star fiancĂ©e (Gabrielle Union) convincing him to broadcasting their wedding on her TV show. Dawson plays a reporter following Rock around for the day as he tells her stories of his past and his future dreams while trying to deal with the now. This movie is so well written and soooo funny ( there is one raunchy scene in the middle that is hilarious and at the same time hard to watch). It is hard to find smart comedies being released today and Chris Rock comes through here. He also helped by many supporting players. Who? How about: Seinfeld/Cedric The Entertainer/Tracey Morgan/Leslie Jones/Kevin Hart and so many more. I want him to do a follow up like Linklater!

Number 2-Top Five




No comments:

Post a Comment

My Top 5 Films (And Recommended) Of 2024 At Six Months

Top 5 films that I have seen in the first 6 months of the year and maybe a book and album recommendation!!! Well let me get started...in no ...