Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Oscar Week!!! Part 2!!

Continuing my 2014 top ten movies of 2014....
so far:
10-Grand Budapest Hotel
9-The Immigrant
8-Maleificent

7-Whiplash
Written and Directed by Damien Chazelle
Starring- Miles Teller
J.K. Simmons

            


It is a powerful movie questioning how much can or should you endure to pursue your dreams.
A promising young drummer enrolls at a music conservatory where his dreams of greatness are mentored by an instructor who pushes the envelope with his teaching methods. The film almost feels like a stage play. The story line is tough to watch, still the fantastic acting by Simmons and Teller pulls it along.  Is it a happy ending? I have no idea, but what I do know is do not miss this master class of acting.

Number 7 Whiplash



Number 6- Trip To Italy
Written And Directed by Michael Winterbottom
Starring-Steve Coogin
             -Rob Bryden




 There is a feel of the film Sideways here. What is it? Is it a documentary? More like a mockumentary I guess. It is hard to explain.  I know it is two men, six meals in six different places on a road trip around Italy. Liguria, Tuscany, Rome, Amalfi and ending in Capri. Not much happens. Just two guys talking and eating and traveling. Steve Coogin is Steve. Rob Bryden as Rob. It is a follow up to the movie The Trip that they also did together. You really do not need to see The Trip to watch this film, it is literally another trip, and I think a better film than the predecessor. May have needed a small amount of editing but still I enjoyed it. I think it is a film you either get and love, or don't get and want to give up on it half way through. As you can tell I get it. I laughed out loud often.

Number 6 Trip To Italy



Number 5- Belle
Written by Amma Asante
Directed by Misan Sagay
Starring Gugu Mbatha-Raw



No dark skin individuals on Downton Abbey? Well welcome Belle. Yes, A different time period then Downton, still the reactions would be probably be the same. The mixed race daughter of a Royal Navy Admiral is taken in by her aristocratic great-uncle ( Tom Wilkinson) in 18th century England. I really liked this film, and Mbatha-Raw, a star is born. Very soapy. Yes, but I do not mind soapy if it works, and I think this worked. Plus Tom Felton (Draco Malfoy) is back playing evil!!!!

Number 5 Belle





No comments:

Post a Comment

My Top 5 Films (And Recommended) Of 2024 At Six Months

Top 5 films that I have seen in the first 6 months of the year and maybe a book and album recommendation!!! Well let me get started...in no ...